At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
Global Health Policy Center seeks a highly motivated intern to support its outreach and research objectives. This position will support GHPC in executing events, focused promotion and outreach activities and will play a key role in advancing GHPC's major initiatives. S/he also will support the research and organizational work of the director and engage regularly with the GHPC Executive Director and other staff.
The ideal candidate will have an educational and/or professional background in communications, marketing, social research, data analysis, global health/health, and some experience in project management for events. S/he should be results driven and able to work concurrently on multiple projects, take direction, be adaptive and reflexive to changing operational needs. S/he must be able to multi-task, seek clarification and guidance as appropriate, prioritize competing demands, and effectively communicate. The events and outreach program intern will support the execution of several high-profile activities; help plan and implement virtual events; and periodically provide background research support for policy commentaries and analyses. In addition, the intern will provide administrative support as needed.
The work for this position will be performed at the CSIS headquarters in Washington, DC.
The hired candidate will be paid hourly, commensurate with experience ($17.00/hour for current undergraduate hires, $18.00/hour for hires with a bachelor's degree, and $19.00/hour for hires with a master's degree).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
I. Program outreach support, including but not limited to:
1. Coordination of logistics for program events, meetings, conferences, (60%)
* Developing background and preparatory memos.
* Draft correspondence for participants.
* Support the execution of event logistics.
2. Coordination of GHPC's external outreach (30%)
* Compose and support dissemination of program related content on social media.
* Update web and social media content to reflect project developments.
* Coordinate production of program media related and video products.
* Communicate with external contacts and other CSIS experts.
* Participate in GHPC meetings, hearings, and public/private events.
* Collaborate with Global Health Policy staff to compose outreach campaigns.
* Plan, edit and disseminate podcast series content.
3. Other substantive activities as assigned by the Director and/or Executive Director.
II. Other Office Administrative and Management Duties (10%), potentially including but not limited to:
1. Backstop or support other team members in the planning, execution, and organization of non-health security events and meetings.
2. Other tasks as assigned by the Director, Executive Director, and/or staff.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
* Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively write, and present content designed for external audiences required.
* Experience (3-5 years) using web-based research tools, social media platforms and podcast editing software required.
* Experience with external communications, multimedia production, and social media in a professional setting required.
* Must be a current or rising bachelor's degree candidate in communications, public health, public/policy and/or (3-5) years' experience with Global Health, International Relations, International Development, Public Policy/Administration, or related field preferred.
* Must have demonstrated, strong knowledge of and interest in global health security issues, policies, programs, stakeholders, and/or multilateral coordination platforms, particularly U.S. investments.
* Ability to operate under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
* Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
* PC literate, specifically MS Office.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and a 3-5 page writing sample at https://careers.csis.org.