The National Biodefense Analysis and Countermeasures Center (NBACC) is a one-of-a-kind facility dedicated to defending the nation against biological threats. Its work supports DHS and National biodefense preparedness planning, response, emerging threat characterization and bioforensic analyses. It is the first national laboratory created by DHS in response to biodefense gaps identified following the Amerithrax attacks of 2001 and has been operated by the Battelle National Biodefense Institute (BNBI) since 2006. Since its inception, NBACC and its staff have filled critical shortfalls in our scientific knowledge of biological agents needed to protect the public and defend the Nation from biological threats, whether naturally occurring, accidental, or deliberate and provided federal law enforcement with scientific data to support the investigation and attribution of biocrimes and protection of the US bioeconomy.
NBACC includes two centers: the National Bioforensic Analysis Center (NBFAC), which conducts the technical analyses in support of federal law enforcement investigations, and the National Biological Threat Characterization Center (NBTCC), which conducts experiments and studies to obtain data required for a better understanding of biological vulnerabilities and hazards. Together these centers offer a unique national resource for understanding the risks posed by biological agents and emerging technologies to inform biodefense policy and response planning and the operational capability to support the investigation, prosecution, and prevention of biocrimes and bioterrorism.
Supports animal studies and provides veterinary medical care and maintenance of animal colony health under the supervision of the institutional veterinarian(s). Performs required tasks with regular supervision and guidance and is expected to work independently while keeping their supervisor/manager informed on status of projects and/or area(s) of responsibility.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
* A high school diploma or GED is required. An Associate's or Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience in a life or applied science is desirable.
* Formal animal technician training, or AALAS certification at the ALAT level, or at least two years' experience as a laboratory animal technician is required.
* Experience with nonhuman primates and agricultural species (e.g., sheep, goats, and swine) is desirable.
* Able to transport and lift up to 50 pounds as part of routine laboratory job procedures and duties.
* Intermediate scientific proficiency in laboratory functions. Possesses the ability to identify issues with laboratory protocols, procedures, and experimental plans.
* Proficiency and clarity of oral and written communications are essential.
* Exemplary organizational skills with a proven track record of working effectively both independently and as a team player.
* Knowledge or experience with biocontainment facilities and procedures, laboratory safety, biosurety, and decontamination desirable.
* Skills and experience to support laboratory activities and work in accordance with NBACC's management system (e.g., ISO).
* Must be a citizen of the United States, able to obtain and maintain an interim secret clearance leading to a top-secret clearance, suitability for DHS, and a favorable adjudication of the Department of Justice (DoJ) for select agent access.
* Participation in the Immunization Program, Medical Surveillance Program, and enrollment in the Personnel Reliability Program (PRP) is required.
* Is required to participate in NBACC's alternative work and/or on-call schedule, including weekends and holiday coverage as scheduled on a rotating basis.
* Performs procedures including, but not limited to: Monitoring animals for general health; administering medications; performing laboratory diagnostic procedures; administering anesthesia; collecting biological samples; performing minor surgical procedures; and pre- and post-operative care of research animals.
* Provides routine husbandry and environmental enrichment according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and study requirements in biocontainment and other areas as necessary.
* Performs daily health surveillance checks and reports any abnormal conditions of either the animals or the animal room and cage environment to appropriate veterinary care staff.
* Disposes of waste and animal carcasses from the facility according to established waste streams.
* Performs duties in both conventional and biocontainment (ABSL-1/2/3/4) animal holding and research areas.
* Possesses the ability to work on multiple science tasks simultaneously, while performing assignments outside of area of expertise.
* Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
* Follows established procedures on routine work, requires instruction only on new assignments, and is self-sufficient in monitoring and reporting on quality, and compliance.
* Maintains a safe work environment by participating in specialized training and review of safety manuals and SOPs.
* Identifies departures from the Quality Management System (QMS) and initiates actions to investigate and prevent such occurrences.
* With minimal supervision, operates, maintains, and characterizes the performance of equipment ensuring the reagents and supplies are maintained and used properly.
* Serves as a member of a team in developing, validating, and maintaining methods for identifying and characterizing biological threat agents.
* Must be a team player, communicate clearly, be open to hearing ideas and suggestions from others, diffuse situations, and exercise empathy and patience with colleagues.
* Must have the ability to multi-task, maintain composure under pressure, and utilize effective time management skills to prioritize tasks.
* Must be a self-starter driven by an eagerness to succeed, maintain flexibility, adapt to change in a productive and positive manner, learn new concepts, and utilize critical thinking to resolve complex problems.
* Maintains appropriate records.
* Performs other assigned duties.
BNBI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.