The Alaka`ina Foundation Family of Companies is looking for a Veterinary Technician Containment to support our government customer located in Fort Detrick, MD.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide technical support at various levels of biocontainment, including animal biosafety levels (ABSL) - 3 and 4 and non-containment
- Participate fully in all aspects of animal work including those relative to observation and participation in experimental procedures
- Close visual attention is necessary in a majority of work and is the responsibility of the contractor to inform the investigator, technician, supervisor, and veterinarians of abnormalities, changes, etc., in animal conditions
- Perform standard veterinary procedures without assistance or supervision, to include (but not limited to): surgical site preparation; administration of medications or other substances by injection, orally, or topically; placing intravenous catheters; incubating, anesthetizing animals using injectable or gas anesthetics, anesthetic monitoring and euthanasia; prep surgery site; providing assistance in radiographic and surgical procedures; collection of blood and other biosamples; creating entries in medical records (to include Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)-compliant entries), conduct of health checks and physical exams, and performance of handling and restraint of animals.
- Provide veterinary technical services to individual investigators or Veterinary Medicine Division personnel when coordinated through the TPOC, COR, or Chief, VMD (or designated representative)
- Operate medical and research equipment to protect laboratory personnel and other animals
- Assist in preparation for AAALACi site visits, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) inspections, Medical Research and Materiel Command (MRMC) Animal Care and Use Regulatory Office (ACURO) staff assistance visits, and inspections by Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Department of the Army Inspector General (DAIG) or similar entities.
- Apply practical knowledge and expertise with animal health care technical skills in resolving technical problems real-time in both non-containment and in biocontainment.
- Responsible for various logistical tasks including receipt, storage and maintenance of inventories, an accounting for all logistical supplies, reporting discrepancies of receipt immediately to the COR, TPOC, or Chief, VMD (or designated representative). Sign, date, and process forward all receiving documents, invoices, and/or packing slips to the COR's designated purchasing agent and maintain copies
- If required for protocol support, must learn and operate machinery to conduct blood work, to include but not limited to, hematology, serum chemistry, coagulation profiles at all biocontainment levels in compliance with GLP standards
- If require for protocol support, must learn and assist with the operation of machinery to conduct studies
- ALAT certification or higher level of certification, as defined by the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS), is required prior to or within six (6) months and LAT certification is required prior to or within eighteen (18) months of starting
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of three (3) years in a research setting, in animal technical care and support for NHPs, Rabbits, and Rodents
- Experience in Good Laboratory Practice (GLP)
- Must meet Biological Personnel Reliability Program (BPRP) and Select Agent requirements.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Experience in animal technical care and support
REQUIRED CITIZENSHIP AND CLEARANCE:
- Must be U.S. Citizen
- Must be eligible for BPRP
The Alaka`ina Foundation Family of Companies (FOCs) is a fast-growing government service provider. Employees enjoy competitive salaries; a 401K plan with company match; medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; tuition reimbursement; paid time off; and 11 paid holidays.
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are proud to state that we do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status. If you are a person with a disability and you need an accommodation during the application process, please click to request accommodation. We E-Verify all employees.
The Alaka`ina Foundation Family of Companies (FOCs) is comprised of industry-recognized government service firms designated as Native Hawaiian Organization (NHO)-owned and 8(a) certified businesses. The Family of Companies (FOCs) includes Ke`aki Technologies, Laulima Government Solutions, Kpono Government Services, and Kpili Services, Po`okela Solutions, Kkaha Solutions, LLC, and Pololei Solutions, LLC. Alaka`ina Foundation activities principally benefit the youth of Hawaii through charitable efforts which includes providing innovative educational programs that combine leadership, science & technology, and environmental stewardship.
For additional information, please visit