The Career Potential
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics is committed to improving and saving lives with diagnostics. To do this we hire people who share this dream and are ready for new adventures. As a valued team member, you will carve your own career path and be part of building this company stronger and better than ever before. There is no limit to the experiences, opportunities and new directions you will have access to here at Ortho Clinical Diagnostics. More importantly, you will be driving the surge of a whole new direction in important medicine. That's something we can all take pride in as we take this journey together.
Ortho is known in the industry as a leader in customer service and support. Deeply understanding and exceeding the needs of our clinical lab, hospital and blood bank customers is what we do. It's who we are. If you join Ortho, no matter what your role, you will be expected to keep that Customer Excellence focus in your work.
As the company continues to grow, we are seeking a Research & Development Engineer to develop technologies and processes to support the expansion of assay menu on VITROS diagnostic systems. The successful candidate will lead cross functional teams to assess, develop, and implement technologies required for the development of assays on lateral flow, liquid cell, and layered film formats. The candidate will also be responsible for developing and maintaining core expertise in reagent coating technologies and surface functionalization. This position is located at Rochester, NY.
- The assessment of deposition and coating technologies for microfluidic, liquid cell, and layered film devices and the subsequent development of the technology for transfer to manufacturing.
- The definition and development of manufacturing conversion processes such as surface functionalization and material bonding.
- Assess assay device function, define root cause for failure modes, and implement design and engineering improvements.
- Lead a technical team and develop strategy and work plans to achieve project objectives.
- Prepare technical reports, participate in scientific meetings, and present technical findings.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate records of work performed in accordance with cGMP and the Quality System.
- Mentor's coworkers on a frequent basis. Reviews and approves reports or memos from team members.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering or related field with 5 years experience in coating or materials engineering or Ph.D. with background in coating or materials engineering.
- Experience in the field of coating, reagent deposition, microfluidics, and material conversion are preferred - including non-contact single drop and drop array printing technologies, formulation engineering for solutions and dispersions, substrate surface functionalization, and material bonding techniques.
- Must have experience in experimental design and analytical analysis, including data evaluation and interpretation.
- Successful candidates will have evidence of independent technical contributions as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, patents, and / or commercialized products.
- Must have common application computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel). Experience in Minitab or other statistical software is desired.
- Candidates must have excellent written and oral communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work in an interdependent, collaborative environment.
"At Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, we are proud of the empowering, inclusive and innovative culture we are growing. Our team is passionate about our work, and brings deep knowledge, industry experience and diverse thinking that drive results, making Ortho a place to grow your career.
Ortho Clinical Diagnostics is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law."