Job SummaryAs a member of the IT Operations group, reporting to the Senior Manager of Platform Services, the Cloud Engineer primarily focused on managing, educating and troubleshooting of our AWS PaaS offerings,. You will collaborate with individuals at all levels of the organization as a spokesperson and an expert in cloud, in support of various programs and projects, and as you build and nurture these offerings. Key success factors include a positive attitude, good work ethics and the ability to work independently as well as within teams. As part of this well-respected IT group, you will enjoy a wide variety work in emerging technologies within a supportive team environment.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (List in order of importance):
- Design and configure cloud solutions and cloud automation.
- Work closely with the Network and Security teams to architect, deploy and configure cloud connectivity, the underlying cloud foundation and cloud security layers (cloud accounts, network buildout, cloud subnetting, and security settings)
- Provide guidance and design support to manage service
- Write and maintain scripts to increase efficiency and reduce human intervention.
- Build/manage CI/CD framework for CloudFormation activities
- Manage and maintain cloud services and settings using cloud vendor console.
- Configure backup & disaster recovery and troubleshoots issues related to backup and DR.
- Support proof-of-concept initiatives in cloud "sandboxes" to address business challenges.
- Assist application teams to refactor and migrate applications to public cloud services.
- Identify cloud savings opportunities through improved configuration of existing systems.
- Monitor for and review alerts and notifications related to cloud service events.
- Adhere to and comply with change management processes and procedures.
- Assist with setting processes and determining tools for enterprise service delivery.
- Advocate for cloud through participation and leadership in cloud center of knowledge and cloud ideation work-sessions.
- Support leadership team in streamlining processes for enterprise level service delivery.
- Support leadership team in developing technical roadmaps for future cloud implementations.
- Review new and emerging cloud offerings for enterprise fit and business use.
- Resolve cloud issues and participate in global incident management as needed.
- Ensure security is integrated into all cloud architecture solutions.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS (Education/Training, Experience and Certifications):
- Three or more years of work experience with AWS
- Five or more years of experience in IT is highly desirable
- Experience in cloud migration, cloud service implementation and troubleshooting are highly desirable
- Network hands-on experience is highly desirable
- Experience with management of Linux & Windows operating systems and scripting in Python, YAML and similar languages is desirable
- Bachelor's degree in computer science and AWS certification are desirable
SKILLS AND ABILITIES (Those necessary to perform the job competently):
- Development and support of IaaS and PaaS cloud services in AWS
- Thorough understanding of AWS cloud infrastructure (VPC, ALB/NLB, EBS, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, EC2, Cloud Security etc.)
- Good working knowledge of Cloud Orchestration, automation and Infrastructure as Code (CloudFormation)
- Highly skilled in scripting
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Accustomed to work within the ITIL framework of Incident, Problem, Change, Configuration and Release Management is highly desirable
- Additional qualities:
- Desire to focus on and please the customer, ability to understand requests from the customer's point of view
- Commitment to high professional and ethical standards in a diverse workplace
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL EFFORT (Under Typical Positions):
- Remote-work is an option with the ability to remain as such if agreed upon during the hiring process. (monthly or quarterly office visits are still encouraged when possible)
- Hybrid-work is preferred by many coworkers in this organization, ranging from two to four days in the office and one to three days from home
- Full-time work from the office is also an option
- Some offices have been modernized and include amenities such as optional standing desks, please inquire during the interview process
- Reasonable flexibility in working hours is mutual, flexibility may be agreed to for support of personal needs and can also be necessary to support work activities and deadlines
- Diverse abilities may be accommodated in this role more easily than a similar role at other companies for reasons that include the remote-work potential, the use of Microsoft Teams for nearly all remote meetings (enabling near real-time closed captioning during meetings) and/or working hours flexibility
- Personal computer will be supplied, adequate network connectivity while working remotely is required and is the responsibility of the individual
- Minimal physical effort is required, work is mostly sedentary
- A frequent volume of work and deadlines does impose some strain
- Typically work is performed during the business hours of North American eastern time, with occasional flexibility up or down to support after hours releases or meetings with India and Europe.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
Avantor is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We are an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision using the links below.
3rd Party Non-Solicitation Policy:
By submitting candidates without having been formally assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates, regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting any form of solicitation.