When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you'll be doing...
In this role you will be responsible for software application development for new and ongoing telecommunications and data communications products. These efforts will be aimed at customer retention and revenue expansion.
- Design, develop, and test custom software systems for telecommunications and data communications applications.
- Analyze customer requirements and develop concepts for new applications.
- Effectively work in an inter-disciplinary team environment.
- Coordinate with project management, software architects, and other engineering teams in determining overall system solutions.
- Support the scoping and implementation of technical solutions: estimate, prioritize, and coordinate development activities.
- Apply both procedural and object-oriented techniques and Agile methodologies.
- Author technical documentation as needed.
- Support QA team in developing test plans.
Where you'll be working...
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location, Ashburn, VA.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Software development experience in a LINUX environment using Java, Go, C, or Python languages.
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or relevant engineering field.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or relevant technology field.
- Ten or more years of experience in full stack software development.
- Experience developing high performance, multi-threaded and multi-process software.
- Knowledge of structures, theories, principles, and practices for SQL and NoSQL database systems.
- Production deployment experience with virtualization, Docker, Kubernetes or other container management tools in production environments.
- Experience with DevOps and CI/CD tools for automation of build, packaging, deployment, and testing.
- Professional experience with performance testing and tuning.
- Experience with messaging/streaming technologies (e.g., Kafka, Spark Streaming, RabbitMQ).
- Experience with Atlassian's agile development tools including Bitbucket, Jira, and Confluence.
- Knowledge of information security and data protection best practices.
- High degree of initiative with a passion for learning technology.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good soft skills in working with other engineering and analytical teams to arrive at optimal solutions to technical challenges.
- Knowledge of networking technology for telecommunications and data communications.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.