Bachelor's degree in a related specialized area or field, or equivalent is required plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience. Responsibilities for this Position
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required within a reasonable period of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Keeping people safe worldwide is what we do. Developing mission-critical systems is how we do it. At General Dynamics Mission Systems, you'll be part of the team that helps heroes make a true impact. The work we do is important. The challenges we face are career defining. The opportunity we can offer is one-of-a-kind. We are ready to hire an IETM Technical Writer for the Total Ship Monitoring System (TSMS) delivered to the United States Navy (USN) Submarine fleet. Our close-knit team is passionate about delivering the best product to the Navy to help protect our country. Our team works closely with the Submarine community to develop solutions that allow the Navy to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
- Develop IETM content for technical manuals consisting of Physical Descriptions, Cabling, Functional Descriptions, Troubleshooting, System Operations, Operating Procedures, Removal and Replacement Procedures
- Develop technical manual content in HTML and XML using the S1000D standard
- Review and verify all documentation changes for accuracy, technical content, format, and reading grade level before delivery of content
- Ensure all publications maintain compliance with objectives and standards of the appropriate technical manual development plans and requirements
- Communicate closely with engineers to verify information, observe equipment performance, review test methodologies, and acquisition of engineering documentation.
- Often interacts with Customers and users to validate feedback and incorporate changes as required, Internal customers, Program leads, External customers, suppliers and subcontractors, Department personnel, Consultants, Members of Engineering and Technical Staff, and Engineering Personnel
- Assist other writers and editors regarding style, organization, grammar, syntax and usage
- Assist in the identification of faults and repair of the ARCI Sonar System equipment
- Work onsite with the development team at Lockheed Martin Integration facility in Manassas Virginia coordinating with the ARCI/SWFTS community
- 5 years of experience in understanding and application of principles, concepts, practices, and standards required of technical publications
- Experience using JIRA in an Agile Software Development Lifecycle (CDLC)
- Proficient knowledge of DoD guidelines and standards
- Proficient editing, written, English and grammar skills
- Proficient knowledge of information systems (hardware/software)
- Proficiency with desktop software such as Visio, Adobe FrameMaker, Dreamweaver, Project, and graphic capture software; HTML experience desirable
- Proficient ability to relay complex system information that can be understood by general users
- Capable of quickly learning new skills and completing assignments with minimal supervision
- Proficient written and oral communications skills and problem-solving/decision-making skills
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficient analytical skills, attention to detail, and an ability to perform in a team-based, fast-paced, quick reaction environment
- Participates in determining objectives of assignment
- Plans schedules and arranges own activities in accomplishing objectives
- Represents organization on specific projects as required
- Works under only very general supervision
- Ability to work independently and multi-task
- Arbortext XML Editor
- Macromedia Dreamweaver
- ARCI or SWFTS Submarine Sonar System experience
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran