Discovery Synthetic Chemist
Alkermes, Inc. is the U.S. operating company of Alkermes plc, a fully integrated, global biopharmaceutical company that applies its scientific expertise and proprietary technologies to research, develop and commercialize, both with partners and on its own, pharmaceutical products that are designed to address unmet medical needs of patients in major therapeutic areas. Alkermes has a diversified portfolio of marketed products focused on central nervous system disorders such as addiction and schizophrenia and a pipeline of product candidates in the fields of neuroscience and oncology. Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, Alkermes has a research and development ("R&D") center in Waltham, Massachusetts; an R&D and manufacturing facility in Athlone, Ireland; and a manufacturing facility in Wilmington, Ohio.
The following position is for Alkermes, Inc.
- As a synthetic chemist have the ability to drive compound design through the utilization of synthetic expertise for a given project directed toward successful project progression and candidate drug delivery
- Design and safely perform experiments, working independently as well as part of a team, propose synthetic routes for new analogs
- Ensure robust synthetic routes for all proposed molecules
- Maintain clear and accurate records of experimental work in lab notebooks
- Prepare summaries of work for reports, patent applications and presentations
- Foster a close collaboration with medicinal chemistry to enhance design through synthesis
- Show commitment to team goals and timelines, and lead others to work together
- Dedicated lab work for any given project for at least three years upon joining Alkermes
- Help contribute and expand Alkermes' culture of "hypothesis driven" science through synthesis
- Establishes consistency in solving complex, technical problems
- Creates and tests complex hypotheses
- Demonstrates situational leadership and creative problem solving
- Be a scientific resource for local chemistry management as relates to new ways of working in synthetic chemistry
- Help manage external collaborations to enhance internal projects, capabilities and company recognition
- Help drive strategy and delivery for relevant publications
- Act in accordance with all Alkermes' policies for personnel, EHS, etc.
Minimum Education & Experience Requirements: Ph.D./Postdoc in synthetic organic chemistry (no industrial experience required)
Technical Expertise Requirements:
- Established expert in modern synthetic chemistry approaches and principles that contribute to successful compound delivery
- Author on scientifically reviewed publications
- Contributed to presentations at professional conferences
- Proficient in experimental design and laboratory equipment
Preferred Qualifications :
- Strong technical communication and collaboration skills
- Effective communication and presentation skills i.e. must have ability and judgment to communicate/present appropriate information
- Able to propose and implement scientific ideas
- Excellent time-management skills
- Be a role model in behaviors and Alkermes' way of working
Alkermes, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression and identity, national origin, ancestry, age, mental and physical disability,
genetic information, any veteran status, military status or application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under applicable law.