Never settle, dig deeper.
Our Core Values
- Build with Intention We build with intention. Whether in the office or the field, we work with grit and determination toward a better future for everyone involved. We leave things better than we found them, and never leave a job until we're proud to put the Veit name on it.
- Leaders Dig First Egos have no place at Veit. We expect everyone on our team to dig in with a leadership mentality. That means being willing to jump in, take ownership, and get mud on our boots - especially when times get challenging.
- Real Relationships Like our work, we approach relationships authentically, with a long-term mindset. Whether you're a client partner, vendor, or team member, we make an effort to build a more meaningful connection with you by communicating with respect and honesty.
- Integrity in Everything As part of the Veit family, everything we do and say reflects on this entire company. We act with integrity, which means treating others just as we want to be treated, doing the right thing, and holding ourselves accountable.
- Deliberately Safe We believe all safety incidents are avoidable when everyone operates with a deliberate mindset. We are deliberately proactive and thorough in training and job planning. We are deliberately safe in our everyday operations and decision-making.
Veit is one of the country's leading specialty contractors, with over 90 years of experience and the best people in the industry. We pride ourselves on our relentless pursuit to push the construction industry forward and deliver for our customers. Our modern fleet of iron, diverse expertise, and unmatched determination allow us to successfully tackle some of the largest and most complex projects across every sector while also living out our values every day. Our company culture is one where everyone pitches in to get the job done, regardless of job title or seniority. We do everything we can to maintain an atmosphere where family comes first. We want every one of our employees to look forward to each day at work and make it home safe and happy at the end of the day.
Veit's Civil Construction Internship offers college students the opportunity to put their knowledge and skills to work in the real world of Civil Construction. The Civil Construction Internship provides students interested in pursuing a career as a Project Manager and/or Estimator with an opportunity to learn the role. The mentoring Project Manager/Estimator will provide direction and support for the Civil Construction Intern to develop an understanding of the responsibilities of the Project Manager/Estimator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews plans and specifications to determine the scope of the work required for the project.
- Reviews jobsites before bidding to make appropriate estimates.
- Completes takeoffs utilizing estimating software and performs hand takeoff quantities for various aspects of each project.
- Calculates quantities (square yard, linear feet, cubic yard, each, etc) for each project to factor materials needed and material movement.
- Solicits quotes from subcontractors for bid preparation and final numbers. Monitors DBE/MBE (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise/Minority Business Enterprise) requirements with subcontractor invitations to bid.
- Collects quotes on materials required for the project.
- Constructs the bid utilizing bidding software by adding activities (work to be completed), crews and equipment, and adjusting production rates.
- Prints out bid proposals from and creates proposal. Reviews bid with estimator or project manager.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of 2 years education working toward completion of Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Civil Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Structural Engineering, Construction Engineering, Construction Management or related discipline from four-year college or university.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- At least 1 summer of construction work experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers and supervisor.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations, and mean, median and averages.
- Ability to maintain compliance with all Veit policies and procedures.
- Ability to respond to shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment with a can-do attitude
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Prior experience using construction bidding and estimating software is a plus.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret project plans and specifications.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Requires 8 to 10-hour hour workdays, Monday - Friday
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to stand and/or sit in a stationary position for extended periods of time; 50%+. The employee is regularly required to use a computer/laptop/iPad in on office environment with natural and/or florescent lighting, navigate between office building floors, attend off-site meetings, and lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted. The employee occasionally may encounter high noise levels, but hearing protection is provided/required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employees may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Most often an office environment, however jobsite travel may be required. Employee frequently works alone and with others. Frequently exposed to variable work environments, including unique conditions outside a typical office environment. Occasionally exposed to moving machinery, loud noises, odors, dust, pressurized equipment. Occasionally exposed to electrical hazards. May be exposed to environmental conditions, and variable weather including rain, snow, wind, cold, and heat.