State & Community Engagement (SCE) enables AARP to be a nationwide organization, which strengthens our capacity to carry out our mission. The SCE team includes: 53 states and territories across 6 regions with regional management, the Office of Volunteer Engagement, the Office of Community Engagement (including the National Retired Teachers Association (NRTA): AARP's Educator Community), and the Legal Counsel for the Elderly (LCE).Summary
Serves as a member of the state team and is responsible for the strategic development and implementation of AARP's integrated earned media, paid media and social media presence in communities across North Dakota. This includes providing strategic communications content and support for the development and implementation of outreach and advocacy priorities for AARP in North Dakota.Responsibilities
1. Proactively pursues opportunities to engage volunteers, the media, lawmakers, members and the public on AARP priority issues, using creativity and emerging technology platforms to effectively tell the story of AARP in North Dakota to diverse audiences through a variety of media platforms. Effectively curtails negative press and manages the overall brand and image of AARP in North Dakota.
2. Works in collaboration with all members of the state team as well as regional and national colleagues to develop messaging and seamlessly integrate communications tactics with state and national issue priorities. Facilitates communication with national office issue experts to ensure proper resources are available for staff and volunteers, including social media content, issue material, talking points and briefing materials.
3. Responsible for building and maintaining relationships with media outlets and community agencies in North Dakota.
4. Develops external communications that support AARP's advocacy and outreach initiatives, using a marketing lens to drive advocacy, promote event participation and facilitate reengagement.
5. Uses data driven analytics and AARP tools to effectively target communications efforts and track results.
6. Supports State staff and volunteers by providing training, coaching, and technical assistance in the areas of public speaking, written and oral communications, social media, event management, and other skills necessary to effectively engage North Dakota residents and stakeholders.
7. Demonstrates ability to effectively work with diverse, multicultural populations including rural residents and LGBGTQ audiences.
8. Serves as an AARP media spokesperson as needed.
9. Serves as lead as designated in state plan for outreach to support AARP state plan initiativesRequirements
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or a related discipline
- 5 years of experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position
The ideal candidate will have experience planning, executing and evaluating strategic communications campaigns, specifically:
- An ability to work effectively as part of a team to facilitate collaboration and innovation,
- A deep knowledge of both social and traditional media platforms and the ability to use those platforms to tell stories in creative and engaging ways;
- Strong content creation skills, including digital video capture and editing, digital photography and writing;
Other desired attributes:
- Familiarity with state demographics, political environment, and legislative process;
- Experience working with multicultural media outlets and communicating to multicultural audiences;
- Availability for in and out of state travel, approximately 20%, as well as occasional evening and weekend hours as required to meet state office needs.Compensation and Benefits
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401(k); 100% company-funded pension plan; health, dental, and vision plans; life insurance paid time off to include company and individual holidays, vacation, sick, caregiving, and parental leave; performance-based and peer-based recognition; tuition reimbursement; among others. Visit careers.aarp.org/benefits for more information.
As a result of the COVID pandemic, all interviews will be held virtually and all non-essential employees will continue to work remotely until further notice.Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.