Vanasse Hangen Brustlin, Inc. (VHB) is seeking a Transit & Rail Engineering Project Manager to work in our growing Capitol District market. The position is located in our Washington, DC, office.
WE ARE VHB-a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries-serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We're growing, and we hope you'll join us!
About the Position
Transit & Rail Engineering Project Manager | Washington, DC
The Transit and Rail Project Engineering Manager will manage transit and rail projects, including conceptual, preliminary, and final engineering design involving light rail transit, bus rapid transit, commuter rail, intercity passenger rail and freight rail improvements. The ideal candidate will manage a multidisciplinary team of engineers and designers in the development of plans, specifications and cost estimates for a variety of rail and transit infrastructure projects.
- Manage multiple, simultaneous efforts including projects of various topics and complexity
- Develop, manage and maintain project schedules and budgets
- Lead development of project deliverables and provide quality control
- Work directly with client project manager and maintain a good relationship
- Manage financial progress through timely submittal of invoices and progress reports and initiation of change orders for out of scope services
- Prepare technical reports and analyses
- Prepare and maintain project staffing resource plans
- Manage a multidisciplinary team
- Take an active role in business development and identifies planning prospects
- Represent VHB at regional conferences, seminars and industry events
- Manage and prepare technical and cost proposals
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations
- Coordinate on teaming decisions with Regional Director of Transit & Rail and other Corporate and Regional Leaders
- Assist in the development of business and marketing plans
- Take an active role in the development and mentoring of the Transit & Rail group staff
- Work with the regional leadership to assign and manage workload
- Work to improve the VHB Transit & Rail 'brand' and to achieve industry excellence and consistency
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent technical written and verbal communication skills and analytical skills
- Excellent public speaking skills and business development skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong capability in use of computer applications including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Capability in the use of project management applications such as MS Project or Primavera
- BS in Civil Engineering or urban/transportation planning discipline or related field
- 15+ years of progressive technical experience in transit planning/engineering and implementation of bus and rail transit improvements.
- Minimum of 5 years as a Project Manager
- PE license in Maryland, DC, and/or VA or the ability to obtain within 6 months of employment preferred
- Technical expertise in multiple rail design disciplines (track, grade crossings, stations structures and transit facilities)
- Proven ability to manage a multidisciplinary team
New employees will be onboarded virtually and begin their employment from home. We are in the process of planning for a safe return to the workplace in alignment with government and CDC guidelines.
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.