Job Title: Controller (Commercial Construction / Mechanical Contractor)
Location: Baltimore, Maryland 21227
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Shift: Monday through Friday - 8:00a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
The Poole and Kent Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of EMCOR Group. Inc. EMCOR is the world's leading provider of mechanical and electrical construction and facilities services, including planning, consulting, operations, and maintenance. Poole and Kent are one of the leading mechanical contractors in the eastern United States. Our construction experience includes a broad range of commercial and government projects, including wastewater treatment plants, hospitals, sports stadiums, convention centers, hotels, research laboratories, and data centers.
The Controller is responsible for the supervision of the accounting staff and overseeing daily operations of the accounting department. The Controller is responsible for managing the month, quarter, and year-end close processes, and for ensuring accounts are reconciled to the general ledger. Responsibilities require analytical assumptions regarding the monthly financial statements and assisting with financial reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO). The Controller shall assist the CFO with the financial functions of the corporation in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory and advisory organizations and in accordance with industry financial management techniques and Corporate and local best practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Practice and promote EMCOR and Poole and Kent's Code of Ethics, "Leading with Character" in conducting business - both internally and externally.
- At the direction of the CFO, assists in supervising accounting staff, delegation of responsibilities among staff, and realignment of responsibilities as necessary.
- Flexibility to work the necessary hours to meet accounting close deadlines monthly, quarterly and year-end is required.
- Prepare account reconciliations and record journal entries.
- Manage the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes.
- Randomly audit workflow accounting transactions are appropriately authorized
- Support most aspects of accounting management (billing, AP, fixed assets, payroll, cash reconciliation).
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly payroll tax filings.
- Manage all operating unit assets including fixed assets and accounts receivable.
- Manage cash flow by coordinating timely collections with project managers and customers.
- Prepare the company's financial reporting package and ancillary documentation timely and in accordance with applicable established policies and procedures.
- Ensure financial and accounting functions, financial controls, and records meet all federal, state, local and company regulatory requirements.
- Ensure executed contracts and all executed change order, bond, and subcontracts/certificates of insurance are properly maintained.
- Review and approve payroll, purchase orders, accounts payable, expense vouchers and account adjustments.
- Maintain positive working relationships with company subcontractors, vendors and suppliers and engage when necessary the contracts manager and/or purchasing department for support.
- Provide support during internal/external audit processes and within designated deadlines and audit commitments.
- Conduct periodic audits of records maintained by Accounting to ensure compliance with company retention policies and legal regulations.
- Assist in the generation and providing of reports requested of the Accounting department.
- As necessary, perform the payroll entry and processing. This may be required in cases where the Payroll personnel are unable to report to work.
- Monitor and analyze monthly overhead expenditures to justify and/or correct budge variances.
- Review and reconcile intercompany insurance billings in collaboration with HR.
- Participate and support the CFO in developing the processes/procedures necessary to ensure regulatory compliance, proper records maintenance, and adequate accounting controls in support of Company operations.
- Participate and support the motivation and advancement of the accounting and finance department to ensure alignment with the Company's operational vision. Instill an attitude of service in the finance organization.
- Comply with all company operating policies, procedures, and safety programs as established.
At the direction of the CFO, assists in the managing, directing, and leading the accounting and finance department. Plan, direct, coordinate and evaluate the activities and performance of direct reports.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS in accounting/finance required, or related academic discipline, and 5-10 years professional experience in the construction industry is strongly preferred.
- CPA accreditation preferred.
- Qualified candidate will possess industry and/or local market experience.
- Strong working knowledge of FASB, SOX, IRS, Federal and State regulations as they apply to the essential functions of this position.
- Familiarity with construction contract language and terms.
- Advanced Computer/Technical Skills with various accounting applications (life cycle of the accounting and finance departments)
- Advanced end user of Microsoft Excel and strong familiarity with the Microsoft Office environment (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Advanced end user experience with accounting ERPs for full cycle payroll and accounting.
- Ability to work with the highest level of integrity and ethical standards.
- Commitment to Company values.
- Strategic approach with ability to understand local markets and specific aspects of business.
- Professional level written and verbal communications skills commensurate with a management position overseeing and directing the work of reporting employees.
- Ability to work well and contribute as a partner in a team environment.
- Ability to lead people and get results through positive and professional influence.
- Technical skills in accounting and finance within the level of experience for this position.
- Ability to improve processes, analyze, and solve problems on a proactive, strategic, and tactical level.
- Ability to effectively communicate, cooperate, and collaborate with multiple levels of employees, government agencies, general and subcontractors, and suppliers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, see, talk, and hear. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is regularly required to walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. EOE M/F/Vet/Disabled
5 years: Five to ten years of related professional accounting experience is required, professional experience in the construction industry is preferred. (preferred)