HOURLY JOB SPECIFICATION
Tool & Die Repair Technician
Mold Team Lead
High level of reliability for mold and plant equipment through performance of tasks required to maintain the plants 200+ molds and minimize downtime.
The essential functions of the position include:
- The safety and health of employees take precedence over all duties of this job
- Has the maintenance knowledge to safely, effectively and efficiently disassemble, clean, troubleshoot and assemble Sonoco's 200+ molds
- Demonstrates sound mechanical, reasoning, knowledge of mold function and an ongoing desire to improve
- Excellent attendance and reliability
- Ability to work with various teams and effectively solve problems
- Ability to recommend tooling changes that will improve function and/or reliability
- Demonstrates the ability to work methodically and meticulously doing repairs on molds
- Ensure injection molds are production ready and provide guidance as needed to mold setters and/or process technicians
- Perform machining, polishing and all mold welding as needed
- Utilize gauges, calipers, etc. to check injection molds and fixtures
- Creates documents and performs strong preventative/predictive maintenance tasks/procedures to eliminate equipment downtime
- Maintain a safe, clean and organized work area
- Able to fabricate items such as guards, metal tables, scrap bins using Mig & Tig welding equipment, grinders, press brakes and various other standard shop equipment
- Repair and revise molds and secondary tooling
- Troubleshoot complex tight tolerance mold problems and help keep production molds in efficient operating condition
- Other duties as required
- Associates degree in Tool & Die or Welding
- Other Technical degrees will be considered
- At least five (5) years of experience welding aluminum (Tig & Mig) in a manufacturing environment required
- Works in a steady, professional manner with little or no supervision required
- Knowledge of Sonoco manufacturing processes, procedures and machinery
- A "get it done" attitude and urgency to resolve problems
- Has excellent knowledge of typical mold functions
- Has a solid understanding of processing requirements for molds such as venting, heating, cooling, polishing, nozzle, sprue and runner configuration and aluminum plating applications or requirements
- Must pass the job related welding test
Physical demands of the position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities who are otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job, unless such accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the Company.
- Ability to push, pull, lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 75 pounds on an occasional basis.
- Ability to frequently bend, stand, stoop and grasp.
- Ability to manipulate small parts on a consistent basis.
- Ability to operate hand and power tools
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts in a production environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Temperatures inside the plant can fluctuate between hot and cold according to seasonal changes. Personal protective equipment (PPE) is required in the production department and other designated areas.
The above description only includes the essential functions and duties which are considered material to the proper identification and classification of the job and is not a limitation of or a restriction upon duties or work requirements that may be inherent in the job. The information listed should not be interpreted to include all details required in performance of the job or other related duties that may be assigned.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any legally protected characteristic.