Associate Producer, Studio
Reports to: Senior Artistic Producer
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Associate Producer, Studio is the lead producer of the Dowling Studio at the Guthrie Theater and the lead producer for all non-mainstage Guthrie programming. This position is responsible for producing all Studio and ancillary artistic programming, and functioning as a key member of the artistic staff, while collaborating and communicating with all departments in the organization. The Associate Producer is responsible for seamlessly integrating all Studio and ancillary programming into the operations of the theater, while also creating new systems and efficiencies that enable the Guthrie Theater to produce its work at the highest level possible. The Associate Producer facilitates processes and is the central hub for all departments in the communication of artistic matters as they relate to Studio and other non-mainstage programming. Guided by the Guthrie's core values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility, the Associate Producer plays a key role in the organization as we strive to center and operationalize these values. The Associate Producer advocates for the Guthrie's mission and values and is committed to working collaboratively within a large organization and the community to achieve short, mid and long-range artistic and institutional goals.
This position is full-time, exempt and benefits-eligible. Compensation for this position ranges from $63,000 - $80,000 annually, plus benefits. This person will work remotely until our building reopens and/or production resumes, at which time full-time in-person work is required.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
2. Future Planning and Vision
- Prior experience in a producing or presenting role. Formal, informal and cross-disciplinary experiences will be considered.
- Extensive knowledge of acting, directing, design, and playwriting talent, as well as knowledge of the new play field and current issues facing the national theater field.
- Budget management experience preferred. Aptitude in crafting and overseeing budgets required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the artistic and creative processes that are necessary in the creation of high quality, professional theater productions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word).
- Experience coordinating multiple projects and conflicting priorities to manage overlapping show schedules.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively verbally and in writing on an interpersonal and group level.
- Professional maturity as measured by the ability and willingness to exercise professional courtesy and discretion at all times and maintain confidentiality as required.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve, work flexibly and adapt easily to change in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Familiarity with IATSE, LORT and AEA collective bargaining agreements is preferred.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of the dynamic schedule of a theater.
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
The Guthrie Theater is located in the historic Mill District along the Mississippi River in Minneapolis, Minnesota. As the largest city in the state, Minneapolis offers a large variety of parks, lakes, great food, festivals, malls and more.
WHY SHOULD I APPLY?
Be a part of a leading non-profit organization that is committed to serving not only the local Twin Cities community but the industry as a whole. In addition to a competitive salary, the Guthrie offers top-notch employee benefits and staff perks.
Health Savings Account
Flexible Spending Account (medical and dependent care)
Dental & Vision
Life Insurance and AD&D
Long Term Disability
Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
403(b) Retirement Plan with employer match up to 4.5% after one year of employment
Paid Time Off
Subsidized passes for Metro Transit buses and trains
Discounted pre-tax monthly ramp parking
Discounted bike locker rental
Discounted Nice Ride annual membership
To Guthrie productions
To all shows produced by the Guthrie
To some performances hosted by the Guthrie
Classes and Camps
Discounts to Guthrie classes and camps
Other Employee Perks
Guthrie Store discount
Admission to opening night parties
Discounted Level Five Cafe and Express dining
Frequent Sea Change restaurant discounts
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
For the safety of our guests and staff, the Guthrie Theater requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Documentation of vaccination status must be provided if an offer of employment is made.
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position: