BALTIMORE COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
JOB TITLE: Supervisor, Enterprise System Engineering
REPORTS TO: Manager, Network Support Services
DEFINITION: Plans, coordinates, and leads the development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of enterprise systems including email servers, database servers, file servers, application servers, cloud services, and related components, personnel, security, and vendors. Assists with notifications through Change Control procedures for all updates, changes, and outages of enterprise systems. Perform other duties as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Develops, operates, and maintains various enterprise systems, both on premise and in the cloud. Works closely with vendors to identify performance issues and schedule updates and patches so that IT Security is maintained at all levels of system operations.
- Analyzes and designs new and existing system enhancements. Works closely with users, Office of Enterprise Applications, and Business Information Management Systems staff to define and document requirements. In coordination with the Enterprise System IT Security Engineer, reviews system implementation and enhancements to ensure that all IT security methods are put in place prior to deployment of the implementation or enhancement.
- Reviews request to develop new or modify existing systems and determines whether request warrants a full assessment. Assembles an assessment team for developing a project assessment plan, if needed. Develops a needs assessment document identifying skills required to successfully implement a project.
- Coordinates technical resources and assists technical and project management teams in the development of functional specification documents. Works with the Project Management Office in assignment of project managers and business analysts, as needed, for project implementations. Conducts project analysis at the enterprise level to improve resource allocation and project delivery.
- Manages and supervises employees in the Enterprise System Engineering Team. Provides guidance and evaluates the work of professional and support staff. Participates in the hiring and selection process for the Systems Engineering Team and other technology positions.
- Writes and documents system specifications, including the maintaining of equipment inventory records, network diagrams, and updates to such records.
- Researches the use of new technologies. Responsible for monitoring the Maryland Cyber Threat Analysis Coordination Center, FBI Cyber-Security, and other IT system security related notification sites and distribution lists to analysis known threats and verify that BCPS systems are properly patched and/or configured based on threat analysis best practices. In coordination with the Enterprise System IT Security Engineer, notifies the Manager of Network Support Services, and Director of Network Support Services of any potential threats to BCPS systems, and what actions will be taken/have been taken to resolution the threats.
- Works closely with Technology Support Services and the Technology Support Services supervisors to ensure that pertinent user and system level changes and enhancements are communicated effectively and in a timely manner. Prepares written user instructions for new implementations, changes, and/or enhancements to enterprise systems, and provides the information to the IT Help Desk personnel.
- Coordinates system testing and assists users with acceptance testing to ensure product being delivered meets project requirements.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of systems and process models. Assists in the development of work plans and project organization/documentation.
- Works on multiple project requests. Engages vendors of applications and systems to assist with best practice implementations and troubleshooting.
- Serves on committees and undertakes special projects as assigned.
- Reviews work performed by contractors/vendors for completeness. Verifies invoices prior to payment being processed. Works with vendors on service level agreements (SLAs) and compliance with these agreements.
- Assists the Manager of Network Support Services, and Director of Network Support Services with administrative responsibilities and organizational management.
- Develops cost projections and assists in acquiring funds for project implementations. Assists with budget responsibilities including preparation, tracking, re-alignments, and submittals with the Manager of Network Support Services, and Director of Network Support Services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in a related computer field.
- Seven years hands-on experience in enterprise system implementations, operations, and maintenance, and four years' hands-on experience as an enterprise system engineer, change management analyst, systems analyst, network manager/supervisor, or closely related experience in the analysis and operations of information technology organizations and systems.
- Five years' hands-on experience with implementation and integration of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software into existing architectures.
- Three years' experience with implementation and integration of cloud-based systems and solutions, including integration of such cloud based (Azure, AWS, Google, etc.) with on-premises systems for large, multi-tenant sites.
Note: Other combinations of applicable education, training, and experience that provide the knowledge and skills necessary to perform effectively in the position may be considered.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Possession of Microsoft Certified: Security, Compliance, and Identity Fundamentals, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, or MCSA: Windows Server 2012 or higher, MCSE: Core Infrastructure certification required (at least one).
- Possession of a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or higher is required.
- Possession of a CompTIA Network+ certification is required.
- Possession of a CompTIA Security+ is preferred.
- Possession of a Google IT Support Certificate, IT Automation with Python Certificate, and/or Google Project Management Certificate is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the principals and practices of planning, developing, implementing, and maintaining large enterprise information systems.
- Thorough knowledge of business operations, processes, and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of processes, methods and techniques utilized to analyze and evaluate business operations.
- Thorough knowledge of project management and program planning.
- Thorough knowledge of computer systems, servers, Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks, Internet/cloud systems, enterprise firewalls, enterprise IT security standards, including NIST IT standards, MITRE ATT&CK framework, and Windows PowerScript programming understanding.
- Experience and knowledge of Microsoft Azure Active Directory, Azure cloud-based server provisioning and operations, and integration of Azure Active Directory and Google Directory Services.
- Skill in analyzing and evaluating administrative processes for automation.
- Skill in application and system scripting and operations.
- Skill in leading and supervising technology teams.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate the feasibility and suitability of information technology projects.
- Ability to plan, document, code, modify, test and implement computer programs as they relate to system operations and maintenance.
- Ability to document test conditions, create test plans, test programs/performance, and analyze results.
- Ability to organize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate the work of a team with the work of other units and organizations.
- Ability to develop needs assessments and prepare administrative reports.
- Ability to exercise a broad range of supervisory responsibilities.
- Ability to properly maintain confidential information.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
The work of this class is generally sedentary and performed in an office environment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Persons appointed to this classification are designated as Essential-As-Needed Personnel and are required to work when schools and/or offices are closed during adverse weather conditions or any other emergency when contacted and directed to do so.
Persons appointed to this class will participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation and may be required to work beyond their normally scheduled hours with little or no advanced notice. A cell phone stipend will be provided. Work includes evenings and weekends as required. Persons appointed to this classification must be go through a comprehensive background investigation and fingerprint check.
SALARY: Grade 10 on the BCPS OPE 12 Month payscale $91,357-$141,232.
Eligible for the Baltimore County Employees' Retirement System.
This document describes the duties and responsibilities of a position. It shall not be held to exclude duties not referenced nor limit the right of management to assign work to employees.
Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Please read and carefully follow the instructions provided below.
- Applicants are required to have a completed application on file for employment with Baltimore County Public Schools (BCPS). Each time an applicant applies to a job with BCPS, the applicationmust be resubmitted. If an applicant started an application with BCPS in the past and at a later date decides to apply for additional positions, it is the applicant's responsibility to review the entire application and ensure that all data is up to date (for example, the applicant may need to add additional schooling or certifications, an additional work experience, or provide updated references). The applicant must remember to review the entire application each time for accuracy and submit each time for a new or different vacancy.
- Professional references must be submitted to complete your application. Examples of professional references include current and former principals, supervisors, managers, mentor teachers and university/college supervisors.Personal references from colleagues, friends, community members, etc.will not be accepted. Applicants should notify their reference proactively to inform them they will receive a form via email through a MAILBOT email address from Baltimore County Public Schools. Applicants should also inform their reference(s) of the job they are applying to.
- Be sure to account for all periods of employment and unemployment, including student teaching and internship experience, and include names, addresses, and telephone numbers of employers.
- Be sure to answer all criminal background questions. If you answer "yes" to any of the criminal background questions you must provide a written explanation. A criminal offense does not necessarily exclude an applicant from employment with BCPS. Factors such as passage of time since the offense, the nature of the violation, and the extent of rehabilitation will be taken into consideration.
- All persons employed by the Baltimore County Public Schools, regular and temporary, are required to be fingerprinted and have a criminal background investigation (State of Maryland, Senate Bill 315, effective October 1, 1986) completed. The fee charged for fingerprinting is $81.00. An identification card will be issued which must be shown prior to employment.
- Anyone offered employment is required to provide proper identification and documentation of eligibility for employment in the US.
- If you have military experience you will be asked to provide a copy of DD214.
- Official transcripts for all higher education must be received prior to contract signing.
- Some positions will require employees to undergo a physical examination and/or drug testing.
- All newly hired personnelmustattend aBadges and Benefitssession.
- Additional job verification will be required for salary credit.
The Board of Education of Baltimore County does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or veteran status in matters affecting employment or in providing access to educational programs or activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding the Board's nondiscrimination policies should be directed to: EEO Officer, Office of Equal Employment Opportunity, Baltimore County Public Schools, 6901 Charles Street, Building B, Towson, Maryland 21204 (443-809-8937). There is a compliance officer responsible for identifying, preventing, and remedying prohibited harassment concerning students. Complaints of harassment should be directed to the executive director, Department of School Safety and Security, 9600 Pulaski Park Drive, Suite 118, Baltimore, MD 21220 (443-809-4360).
Director of Staffing
(AFSCME, ESPBC, OPE & Non-Represented)
Business Services Staffing
6901 Charles Street, E Building
Towson, Maryland 21204