To build and repair tooling/ machine components, fixtures, dies and gauges per specifications and tolerances to support production in meeting quantity and quality standards and operate safely. To repair, regrind, and sharpen tooling required in production operations of exhaust pipe components.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle all materials and tools to repair and build tooling / machine components, fixtures, dies and gauges per specifications.
- Work independently but respond quickly to requests and perform effectively in a team environment.
- Handle materials and tools and apply appropriate process to maintain proper performance of tooling on all machines to assure meeting production and quality standards and safe operations.
- Use Lean principles, Quick Change Technology, Total Productive Maintenance, Cell Design, and 5S as a tool to help our plant run more efficiently.
- Employee must perform his/her job within acceptable safety, environmental, quality, productivity and performance standards as outlined in plant policies, handbooks and applicable work instructions.
- Overtime as required/requested.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build new tooling / machine components, fixtures, dies and gauges per blueprint specifications and with capability of performing the task within designated tolerances, quality and production requirements.
- Repair tooling and machine components, fixtures, dies and gauges to maintain tolerances and capability standards assure safe operation
- Assist Engineers in the design and modification of tools, fixtures and die sets for improvement of machine efficiency and safety.
- Assist Engineers and Setup with trouble - shooting and correcting machining and tooling problems.
- Repair, regrind, and sharpen tooling required to assure machines are producing parts which meet production and quality standards and operating safely.
- Assist Manufacturing Supervisors to troubleshoot problems and take corrective action.
- Respond quickly, identify needs and work efficiently to reduce downtime on production lines.
- Design and build fixtures or jigs to become more efficient in grinding and repairing tools.
*This list may not be all-inclusive and may include other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Tool room and manufacturing plant floor
- Varying temperatures ( cold to hot )
- Grinding dust / metal chips
- Fast - paced work environment
EQUIPMENT/ TOOLS TO USE:
- Ability to lift up to 50 - 100 lbs.
- Extensive standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, twisting arm, and hand motion
- Manual Dexterity
- Good visual Ability
- Ability to grasp and hold small tools / instruments
- Tool Room: Horizontal lathes, Vertical Mills, Surface Grinders, Hand Grinders, Belt Sanders
- Mig, Tig, and Stick Welder
- Hand Tools: See List in Maintenance Department
- High School diploma or GED, must possess training, experience and be able to demonstrate Tool & Die Machinist skills and sufficient ability to read, write and communicate to understand work orders and technical documentation and complete paperwork.
- Ability to read, write and understand work orders, technical documentation and diagrams, directions and safety regulations
- Ability to set up and operate machine shop tools, Lathes, Mills, Grinders, and CNC controlled equipment accurately and safely
- Ability to maintain required tolerances and sharpen tooling correctly
- Ability to pass Tool and Die Tests
- Blue print reading skills
- Knowledge o f and ability to work with different types of metals and identify which process to use to obtain maximum performance
- Ability to accurately use and read Precision Equipment such as Calipers, Indicators, Micrometers, etc.
- Basic comprehension of Setup techniques of machine tools
- Excellent Mechanical Aptitude
- 2 year Associates Degree in Tool & Die /Machinist trade or equivalent in machine shop experience
- Mig, Tig and Stick Welding knowledge
- Ability to work on own without direct Supervision and perform effectively in a team environment
- Flexibility to respond quickly to problems and requests by Supervisors, Engineers, etc.
- Precision / Detail - oriented
- Ability to trouble -shoot machining and tooling problems and take corrective action
- Excellent math skills (Trigonometry)
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled