Citizenship: Must be a US Citizen
Clearance Required: Eligibility for Secret
We are looking for a qualified candidate to support on-base research efforts in support of the Air Force Research Laboratory, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate. At the broadest level, our research group plans, directs, and conducts in house and extramural research and development of materials technologies with an emphasis on functional applications. The Photonics Material branch at the Air Force Research Laboratories (AFRL) at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB) in Dayton, OH is looking for a Research Scientist/Engineer to collaborate with a team for the creation and development of novel optical material processes. We are looking for candidates with a technical background that are well organized, detailed oriented and are driven by their curiosity to solve challenges.
Roles and Responsibilities
The primary objective of this position is to create and develop experimental processes for high quality non-linear optical materials:
* Contributes new ideas to design and development of new or novel non-linear optical materials and processes, and carries out novel optical materials/systems-related experimentation
* Collaborates with research team to conduct material (growth) experiments and detailed material analytical characterization
* Maintains and upgrades equipment as needed
* Participate in creation of new optical system demonstrations and maintain/upkeep/upgrade existing demo systems.
* Provides experienced, high quality analysis in a wide range of characterization techniques, and uses that data and knowledge to drive iterative process trials
* Systematic coordination of lab resource (material, supply) ordering and routine equipment upkeep.
* Solve lab equipment issues including expeditious coordination of repairs as needed, or self-repair if reasonable and appropriate.
Education, Experience and Skills
* At least a Master's Degree in Physics, Materials Science/Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optics, Chemistry, or closely related science/engineering/technology field.
* Must have experience with laser systems and optics; knowledge/experience of high/low temperature systems and controlled atmosphere systems is beneficial
* Must be well organized, meticulous in documentation, able to communicate effectively in written and oral fashion
* Well versed in use of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
* Must be familiar with and meticulous about lab safety.
* Experience with a wide range of analytical techniques for measurement of (crystalline) materials, covering structure, chemistry, and properties
Physical Requirements / Travel
* Must be able to work in a lab environment and lift or carry up to 25 pounds.
* Must be able to work in an office environment, at a desk and computer.
* Minimal travel would be required, <10% time, to CONUS locations. Travel is generally for technical forums/presentations/interchange.
Azimuth is an award-winning Woman Owned Small Business specializing in providing research and development and professional services support to the federal government. Azimuth's agility, customer driven approach and our commitment to our employees allows us to meet and exceed our client goals. Excellence, Integrity, Accountability, Community and Humility are the core values of Azimuth as we continue to strive as a recognized leader in the management consulting community that both federal agencies and industry partners value doing business with. We are an organization that offers both our employees and clients an exceptional experience; our culture will be contagious, while always maintaining a genuine reputation.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Azimuth Corporation does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.