Inspire health. Serve with compassion. Be the difference.
Job SummaryConducts or supports laboratory testing to aid in diagnosis and treatment of disease. Ensures proficiency and accuracy in all aspects of laboratory testing. Applies professional knowledge of medical technology to these tests, to include a broad knowledge of testing methodologies and quality assurance procedures and specialized knowledge of disease state and clinical significance of tests in the diagnosis of disease
- Demonstrates proficiency, competency, and understanding of fundamental principles of clinical laboratory procedures and performs testing with precision and accuracy. Performs and reports test results for waived, moderate, and high complexity clinical laboratory procedures as assigned and as outlined in the standard operating procedures (SOPs). Uses professional knowledge to solve problems or escalates to appropriate individual. Operates computerized laboratory data systems/applications as assigned. Reviews pending work using established protocol.
- Uses the correct policies and procedures in the collection, labelling, handling and processing of all specimens. Verifies identification of the patient, specimen, and results. Evaluates specimen integrity based on department standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Monitors Quality Control (QC) and Quality Management (QM) for area assigned. Evaluates QC results for acceptability and investigates variances, notifying the appropriate individual of unresolved issues. Performs lookback if required. Monitors supply/reagent inventory and uses laboratory resources efficiently. Documents receipt and opening of a supply. Monitors expiration dates of all supplies and ensures adequate supplies are on hand.
- Operates laboratory instrumentation. Identifies real and potential situations or detects equipment malfunctions. Investigates and resolves technical problems, consults the appropriate individual as needed. Troubleshoots the problem with appropriate individual or service representative and documents appropriately. Performs and documents maintenance and function/operational checks on instrumentation.
- Understands and complies with standards and conditions set forth by various governmental and accrediting agencies in assigned operational area. Performs competency assessments following regulatory standards. Assumes responsibility for operation of the section in absence of supervisor/lead technologist. Instructs students, new team members, laboratory support staff, and hospital personnel in procedure, technique, and theory. Maintains a safe and clean working environment and responds immediately to safety violations.
- Recognizes customer satisfaction issues and responds/escalates appropriately. Supports Prisma Health system and campus financial, customer service, and quality initiatives. Completes and performs team assignments. Participates in work unit action plans and supports department-based goals and initiatives which contribute to the success of Prisma Health.
- Communicates information including critical values to other members of the healthcare team and performs required documentation. Educates and supports laboratory customers.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory and non-mandatory continuing education; accesses training needs and participates in Continuing Education (CE) programs annually.
- Completes all required 6 month and annual competencies in required time frame and participates in proficiency testing as assigned.
This is a non-management job that report to a supervisor, manager, director or executive.
Education - Bachelor's Degree in chemical, physical, biological, clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an accredited institution or degree that meets ASCP or AMT certification requirements.
Experience - No previous experience
Not required but candidate should be eligible for: MT (ASCP) prior to 2004 or MLS (ASCP)cm or Categorical (ASCP) or Categorical(ASCP)cm or MT (AMT)
In Lieu Of The Minimum Requirements Listed Above
Foreign degree that meets CLIA Testing Personnel Qualifications approved by the Administrative Director and Medical Director. Current student in a Prisma Health supported education program with BS in chemical, physical, biological, clinical laboratory science, or medical technology from an accredited institution and satisfactory completion of a minimum of one clinical section may work in satisfactorily completed section(s).
Other Required Skills and Experience
- Organizational skills, ability to prioritize tasks appropriately
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of office equipment
- Data entry
- Mathematical skills
- Lab equipment
Work ShiftEvening (United States of America)
Facility1510 Richland Hospital
Share your talent with us! Our vision is simple: to transform healthcare for the benefits of the communities we serve. The transformation of healthcare requires talented individuals in every role here at Prisma Health.