Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Principal Applications Systems Engineer's responsibility is to provide technical leadership for the design, development, and support of complex mission-critical business applications, including mainframe, client-server and web-based applications The primary role of the Principal Applications Systems Engineer is to establish detailed application designs (including design patterns/frameworks), consistent with Amtrak's Enterprise Architecture; ensure alignment of developed software with designs; and to work closely with HR/Payroll to define technical requirements, statements of work, select vendors and system solutions.
The Principal Applications Systems Engineer supports the establishment of a Software Engineering Culture within the organization and works with technical staff to understand and resolve Tier 3 level technical issues related to applications. Additional tasks include creation of optimization programs to resolve problems and development of prototypes for proof of concept activities, assisting in development of technical documentation, leading demonstrations of developed software, and mentoring development staff.
The successful candidate should have extensive experience with large-scale complex application development, support, and corporate systems, client-server, and web environments.
- The primary role is to become SME in Hire to Retire organization. He/she establishes detailed application designs and develop (including design patterns/frameworks) consistent with Amtrak's Enterprise Architecture and ensuring alignment of developed software with designs.
- Has experience in all aspects of SAP HCM (OM, PA, benefit) and SuccessFactors (Performance/Goal management, succession planning, Learning, compensation, Recruiting and onboarding) modules
- Has experience in Payroll Gross-to-Net US payroll (Master Data, Earnings, Cumulations, Deductions and Garnishments etc.), US Benefits, Retroactive payroll accounting, Claims and Overpayments, Off-cycle Payrolls, Post payroll processes including FI Posting, Third Party Remittances, Bank Transfers and Reconciliation.
- Has excellent knowledge of SAP Payroll Schema and Rules including embedding custom functions and rules.
- Has experience on Time Management i.e. Work Schedule Rules, Absence/Attendance management, Quota generation, CATS, Time Evaluation, Time schema and rules customization.
- The primary role of the Principal Applications Systems Engineer is to establish detailed application designs (including design patterns/frameworks) consistent with Amtrak's Enterprise Architecture and ensuring alignment of developed software with designs.
- The Principal Application Systems Engineer works closely with Marketing to define technical requirements, statements of work, select vendors and system solutions.
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer leads the design, development, and maintenance of reliable, high volume, complex applications in mainframe, client-server and web environments.
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer develops reliable, high-volume, complex systems.
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer leverages best practice application development and related methodologies to accomplish business objectives and establishment of a Software Engineering culture. (e.g. complying with applicable security, privacy, and audit requirements and regulations; follow IT change management, configuration management, release management, incident and problem management, software development standards; performance and availability management, design and code reviews, etc.);
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer works with technical staff to understand and resolve Tier 3 level application issues. Additional tasks include creation of optimization programs to resolve problems and development of prototypes for proof of concept activities.
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer assists in the development of technical documentation, leads demonstrations of developed software, and mentors development staff.
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer develops and implements Application Design patterns and common business components / services that are leveraged by multiple applications.
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer understands, interprets, and translates requirements (functional and non-functional) into application designs and documentation.
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer leverages standard software modeling techniques to describe system design; designing components; utilization of existing system components that are leveraged by multiple applications; and leveraging capabilities of environment
- The Principal Applications Systems Engineer determines and effectively communicates how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes, knowledge of products, and system architecture.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Systems Engineering, or equivalent experience;
- 10 + years experience in technically leading large-scale complex application development, support, and maintenance for mainframe, client-server and web environments.
- Strong technical experience developing reliable, high-volume, complex systems. Must have previous technical experience from at least two areas in Programming languages such as SAP ABAP, Workflow, Web Dynpro ABAP, UI5, Fiori UI/UX, XML.
- Prior collaborative experience and general knowledge of other disciplines within IT, including Enterprise Architecture, IT Strategy and Planning, IT Program Delivery, and IT Operations.
- Application Architecture: Experience with development and implementation of Application Design patterns, business components, and services that are leveraged by multiple applications.
- Engineering Specifications: Demonstrated success in understanding, interpretation, and translation of requirements (functional and non-functional) into application designs and documentation.
- Software Design: Experience with leveraging standard software modeling techniques to describe system design; designing components; utilization of existing system components that are leveraged by multiple applications; and leveraging capabilities of environment.
- Software Process Knowledge: Experience with end to end product life cycle and product operational cycle, from concept to delivery to ongoing operations.
- Software Engineering: Strong experience with leveraging configuration management, source code control, and release management in the development of applications. Has translated design specifications into code, created and assembled components by leveraging existing code repositories; extensive experience with one or more programming languages; and has effectively leveraged common development tools for required language, platform, database, middleware and environment.
- Systems Analysis: Experience with determining and effectively communicating how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes, knowledge of products and system architecture
- Demonstrates knowledge of and effective use of best practices and trends for IT (e.g. CMMi, ITIL, CoBIT, etc.) and business (marketing and sales).
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to ask clarifying questions, articulate designs and approaches, and validate proposed methods, processes and solutions;
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others (all management and technical levels) and influence a broad spectrum of constituencies, achieving outcomes through influence rather than direct authority, and build and maintain positive relationships.
- Demonstrated customer focus approach and ability to work under tight deadlines while maintaining a positive, "can-do" attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get things done.
- Masters Degree in Software Engineering or related field
- Experience developing SOA based applications
- Airline and/or Travel Industry reservation experience
- Familiarity with leveraging Agile methods
Minimum travel not greater than 10% may be required.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Information Technology
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology