We are global, we are impacting the lives of millions every day, we are making a difference!
At Amcor we are inspired to change the packaging industry and are taking on the aspirational challenge to make all our products recyclable or reusable by 2025. Through our products and global footprint, we are in a unique position to truly make a difference in the packaging space. Our products impact the lives of millions of people across the globe every day from food, beverage, pharmaceutical, medical, home- and personal-care, and other essential products. Amcor is a thriving S&P 500 organisation listed both on the NYSE (AMCR) and ASX (AMC) with US$13 billion in sales. We have a proud history dating back to the 1860's and come a long way from a single paper mill based in Melbourne to becoming the global leading packaging company. Today, Amcor is an international organisation empowering its 50,000 employees in over 40 countries and across 250 sites.
Will you be next to join our journey towards a more sustainable future?At Amcor we are always looking for talented and passionate individuals who are motivated to make a difference. Working at Amcor means you will have a unique opportunity to be a part of an organisation that is committed to providing sustainable packaging solutions. To find out more about our commitment to sustainability and about Amcor, visit.
Amcor Flexibles North America (AFNA), a division of Amcor, operates across 35 plantsand employs 9,000 colleagueswithin NorthAmericawith headquarters inChicago, ILand Oshkosh, WI. AFNA makes flexible packaging solutions for food and beverage, healthcare, and home and personal care applications.Job Description
We currently have openings in our Hazleton, Pennsylvania Facility for Production Assistants.
A Utility Person is an assistant who will be assigned to one of three classifications on a daily basis: Press Assistant, Converting Assistant or Extruder Assistant. The Utility Person will be assigned to one of these classifications based on the needs for the day as determined by the Company. The Utility Person will accrue classification seniority in the classification of Utility Person. If there is no work for the Utility Person within one of the three classifications, the Utility Person may be assigned to non-production tasks.
The Utility Person may not refuse or select job assignments. If it is determined by the Company that the Utility Person is unable to fulfill all the requirements of the job, the Utility Person will be assigned to the lowest open position within the plant.
Converting Assistant Duties
Task 1: Roll Prep
- Bring new pallet of rolls from the warehouse
- Pull roll shaft and old core from machine and remove shaft from old core
- Place the roll shaft inside core of the new roll and tighten core chucks
- Place hoist strap on shaft and use automatic hoist to load roll onto machine
- Stack cores from the finished rolls in box for recycling
Task 2: Load Machine
- Wrap nylon sling over each end of the shaft. Then hook sling onto the hoist and push button to lift roll up.
- Guide the roll to the machine while roll is on the hoist. (Hoist may require to be pulled with little-to-no resistance.) and set roll into place on machine
- Record roll weight from the roll label onto the appropriate paper.
Task 3: Gather Supplies
- Inspect Bag Machine Operator's work area to determine what supplies will need to be replenished.
- Gather box supplies.
- Use carts to bring supplies as close to the machine as possible. Then carry box of rubber washers to Bag Machine, which weighs 60 lbs.
- Bring boxes to bag machines using hand-operated carts, a High-lo machine, or pallet-jack. Transportation could be up to 800 feet.
- Gather chip-board and wickets to bring to the Bag Operator.
- Unstack pallets with resin cradle on them from the swivel tables and roller tables.
- Remove excess plastic and place in waste bin.
Task 4: General Housekeeping
- Keep area clean - sweep up, remove debris.
- Remove barrels from each machine and take them to the waste dumping station. (Barrels are on a dolly and when the lock mechanism is opened, the barrel is free rolling. Employee walks approximately 50-70 feet to weigh station.)
- Weigh the barrel on the scale and record the waste on the computer
- Then place the barrel in the dumping sled and lock into place.
- Raise barrel and lower barrel to dump the waste using the control buttons to perform this action.
- Return barrel to bag machine location.
Task 5: Completed Jobs
- Return completed order forms to the basket located in front of the Converting Dept Office.
Extruder Assistant Duties
Start up Extruder
- Web Extruder by running Start-Up Rope though the Extruder according to the diagram on the Extruder machine.
- Check rollers for debris and clean all rollers.
- Put on all PPE.
- Tie on poly in the extruder pit; pull poly through Extruder machine.
- Put Chill Drum Lay-on Roller, Treater Roller, and Treater Exhaust Hood down.
- Put trim-in using an approved shoe knife, but only on mono-lines.
Task 1: Prepping Rolls
- Follow the sequence for roll removal on the #3 Co-Ex Extruder. A loading and unloading sequence is posted on the #3 Extruder machine's computer screen.
- Press re-set button to stop completed roll from spinning from the auto chop-over on model lines (Extruder #1 & 2).
- Utilizing mechanical hoist, attach hooks to shaft and operate push button panel to lift rolls from machine and set on take-off machine.
- Remove air from shaft to allow removal of shaft from old core and place shaft in new core. (Raw roll weighs 345-550 pounds each. Ultra-P can weigh up to 1600 lbs.) Note, a mechanical C-Hook Lift is utilized during this step.
- Utilizing mechanical hoist re-attach shaft to machine turret.
- Transport finished roll to staging table by using hand controls on overhead lift.
- Cut off excess plastic and put in waste bins. (Bag of discarded plastic weighs 13-50 lbs. and usually has assistance to perform task.)
Task 2: Palletizing
- Take 44"x44" pallet off stack of pallets and either push/pull or carry 10-15 feet to staging area.
- Place finished rolls on pallet using mechanical overhead lift.
- Apply roll ticket to each roll and pallet tickets when pallets are completed for forklift and inventory scanning purposes.
- Obtain weight of pallet and document it by scanning paperwork given by the Scheduler.
- Band rolls when required to pallets. Follow the Banding Instructions.
- Stage completed pallets in front of extruder for forklift removal.
Task 3: Assist Operator
- Assist Extruder Operator with any and all duties as needed.
- Assist Operator in observing machine operations to ensure machine is running smoothly and correctly.
- Observe running rolls for holes, air-knife marks, or any flaws.
- Take samples of rolls to ensure rolls are ok. Give sample to lab for inspection and weight.
- Change blades on Extruder, change silos.
- Keep extruder area clean at all times.
- Check temps, speeds, sizes and Treats, and all hoppers to note any machine material or quality issues.
- Clean lips on die.
- Clean all drums and rollers.
- Purge out screw, shut power off, lock extruder out, lock out Treater Power, pull screw, move deck plates.
- Clean screw and other parts of breech, barrels, and clean off any debris. This is done only during rebuilds.
- Change fluff bags.
- Rope-up machine.
Other tasks (not all inclusive)
- Check and do all paperwork for pallet and roll tickets.
- Check water levels on Extruder (levels are marked). Add water as necessary and inform Operator.
- Check and change lip and anti-block boxes.
- Complete various cleaning duties, such as sweep floor, vacuum off machine, clean pits below machinery utilizing hose and soap.
- Clean-up oil drippings with mop and bucket daily. Sweep into floor drain. (Stooping is required to avoid overhead pipes.)
- Assist other assistants when help is needed.
- Maintain AIB standards throughout the department.
- Cut down rolls for Repelletizer, when necessary using overhead C-hook. Use approved list of Extrusion knives, cut glove, and bin.
- Clean up any fluff utilizing the air power vacuum.
- Clean out the grinder rooms for each Extruder using air power vacuum.
- Maintain cleanliness of mezzanine.
Press Assistant Duties
Task 1: Job Change
(Job changes potentially occur approx. every 1-12 hours. However, a roll change occurs approximately every 45-50 minutes throughout the job order, with the exception of the 10-color press, occurring every 9 minutes. The average yard per roll is 8,400 yds. Printing 440-1200 feet per minute. (Note: yardage varies by gauge. Usually gauge run is 1.25 mil.))
- Utilizing a hoist, load cart with new roll.
- Assist Operator with installation of plate cylinders and/or Anilox rollers with the use of a pneumatic hoist during set-up of Press machine.
- Remove chuck from finished roll and insert it into the new roll on loading cart.
- Transport pallets from press to conveyor belt.
- Place shaft in roll and load onto conveyor belt with overhead hoist.
- Take new roll to the back of the press. Using overhead hoist guide roll and load onto machine.
- Remove waste from core. Unlock shaft and unload onto cart using overhead lift. May need to transport core to rewind and load core onto rewind using control buttons.
- May have to use sledge hammer to pound chuck into core.
- Use air hose to secure the chuck in the new core.
- Note, in addition to the pallet cart, a pallet jack may be utilized to retrieve and/or move materials as required.
Task 2: Ink and Adjustment Job Change
- Change ink buckets/pans.
- Keep ink hoses and cylinders/ink pans full.
- Transport old cylinders to storage area with a cart and pick up new cylinders for next job.
- Pump ink into press from 55-gallon drums using the air pump.
- Make hand adjustments for plate pressure. View job after each adjustment
- Place ink hoods back into place before starting the press for the next job.
- Splice old roll and tape to new one to feed new roll through press machine.
- Assist operator with set up operations and maintaining running of machine.
- Will need to climb stationary ladders with hand rails that are attached to different platforms of the machine during this process. Also, at times, a rolling ladder may be used with hand rails. (Press ladders vary from approx. 5-8 steps.) At times, you may be at least 20'-30' high, standing on various platforms of the machine.
Task 3: After Press is Running
- Check ink to maintain appropriate levels; fill as needed.
- Observe press scanners to ensure the film is running through machine correctly.
- Add solvent as needed to ink from attached faucet or air pump.
- Assist operator with maintaining running of machine.
Task 4: Waste Dumping
- Once 55-gallon barrel is filled with film waste, roll barrel (barrel is on caster-rollers) to robotic dumpster.
- Lock barrel into place and stand away from cage.
- Use buttons on control panel to activate dumpster.
Task 5: Housekeeping
- Clean Press Machine. Ensure lock-out, tag-out has been properly done before cleaning begins. Will need to climb stationary ladders with hand rails. Also, at times, a rolling ladder may be used with hand rails. (Press ladders vary from approx. 5-8 steps.) At times, you may be approximately 20'-30' high, standing on various platforms of the machine.
- Clean up any spills.
- Sweep/mop floor.
- Maintain a clean work area.
- Maintain area complies with Good Manufacturing Practices and other prerequisite food safety programs.
- Report damages or worn equipment to Supervisor.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Previous manufacturing experience preferred, but not required.
- Good math skills required including fractions and percentages.
- Must be able to read a ruler and measure.
- Good computer skills.
- Ability to work with and interact effectively and professionally with coworkers in a team environment.
- Must be able to read, understand and stay current with all department work instructions and procedures.
- Good organizational skills
On the job training will be provided by employer.
Daily verbal contact with the Operators, Helpers, Crew Leaders, and Scheduler
- Safety is top priority
- There is direct responsibility for keeping the assets supplied for continuous running.
- Responsible to keep 4 bag machines or 8 lines supplied, or more when necessary. May assist other helpers.
- Comply with all AIB, Safety, and Company policies
- Be willing to work overtime when needed
- Work all shifts and weekends
- Participate and attend on-site employee meetings
- Regular attendance is required
- Assist in the set-up of the Extruder machine
- Assist in performing quality checks and following procedures to produce a quality product with the least amount of waste.
- Maintain cleanliness in area and throughout the department.
- Retrieve ink and solvent supplies required for Press set-up
- Maintain supplies through job assigned to for the period
- Observe all PPE requirements in plant and per department.
We expect our people to be guided by The Amcor Way and demonstrate our Values every day to enable the business to win. We are winning when:
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
- Our people are engaged and developing as part of a high-performing Amcor team
- Our customers grow and prosper from Amcor's quality, service, and innovation
- Our investors benefit from Amcor's consistent growth and superior returns
- The environment is better off because of Amcor's leadership and products
Amcor Flexibles North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click on the links "EEO is the and "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please call 224-313-7000 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.E-Verify
We verify the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Amcor Flexibles - United States is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click on the links "EEO is the Law" Poster and "EEO is the Law" Poster Supplement. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please call 847-362-9000 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.