|UPS Technician 3 - Phoenix, AZ|
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Req. Number: 4848
* M.C. Dean is Building Intelligence. We design, build, operate, and maintain cyber-physical solutions for the nation's most recognizable mission-critical facilities, secure environments, complex infrastructure, and global enterprises.
Our success relies on great people delivering innovative projects and solutions for Fortune 100 companies and the most recognized agencies in government, defense, and security.
Join our more than 3,600 employees worldwide who engineer and deploy automated, secure and resilient power and technology systems; and deliver the management platforms essential for long-term system sustainability. Together we are creating the integrated systems and technologies that shape the built and cyber-physical world.
We offer an excellent benefits package including:
CRITICAL POWER DIVISION INTRODUCTION:
The Critical Power Group is responsible for maintaining, servicing, and troubleshooting UPS systems, batteries, and other critical infrastructure equipment. Our technicians are factory trained on most major UPS manufacturers of static equipment (e.g., Ametek, SCI, Cyberex, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Gutor, APC, MGE, Schneider Electric, Powerware/Eaton to name a few). Our technicians perform preventive maintenance and equipment testing as well as emergency service calls at high profile government, institutional and commercial customer facilities. The Critical Power Group also provides engineering and technical support to customers and other divisions of M.C. Dean, Inc.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Daily travel with independent work structure
2. Emergency call availability 24/7 unless on PTO or Off Call.
3. Maintain/safeguard company issued equipment, tools, and instruments
4. Battery Repair & Replacement; installations and replacements.
5. Perform required preventative maintenance service to equipment under contract as scheduled.
6. Customer contact and interface.
7. Communicate availability status to corporate office.
8. Communicate availability status to Team Lead or manager
9. Protect company proprietary information, manuals, and records
10. Use of electronic and electrical test equipment as necessary
11. Coordinate and manage all on-site subcontractors hired by M.C. Dean as necessary
12. Maintain company or personal vehicle in safe and operational condition; maintain insurance as required by company.
13. Insure that work is performed to M.C. Dean Standards
14. Complete all paperwork, including Field Service Reports, Time Sheets, and Expense Reports, and other job required reports timely and accurately
15. Provide technical support to customers upon request.
16. Maintain Technical documentation for study and/or review.
17. Willing and able to attend product specific training as company deems necessary.
18. Cross train other (UPS technicians) as needed.
19. Other duties as required.
* Inspects power electronic systems and their associated controls. Typical systems include but are not limited to UPS systems, battery systems associated with power backup systems, Static Transfer Switches, Power Distribution Units and their associated controls. Inspections include, but are not limited to Initial, In-process, Visual Condition, and Final Inspections, Maintenance Operational Checks, and Failure Analysis, and repairs.
* Certifies by signature to the customer that systems and components adhere to quality standards established by applicable codes, publications, checklists and specifications.
* Reviews and checks system drawings and specifications for accuracy and completeness. Technician will determine maintenance requirements, inspection requirements, and compliance with technical resolved discrepancies between recorded and actual system components by research with owner/manufacturer or by physical inspection. Corrects and certifies changes entered for record.
* Provides technical assistance and expertise on power electronic devices to owners and engineers. Technician must perform inspections, technical assistance, maintenance assistance, and instruction of site personnel, advises site personnel on proper maintenance practices, procedures, and techniques. Reviews and interprets existing technical publications applicable to inspection, modification, and maintenance of power electronics. Resolves technical problems encountered. Prepares reports of findings and makes recommendations on system improvements and implementing quality control programs.
* The physical demands are represented of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job, including lifting and installing batteries. Company expects the employee to observe all safety standards.
* Maintains operational expertise with the following instruments:
a) Digital Multi-meter
b) Power Analyzer
c) Infrared Camera
d) Digital Camera
e) Insulation Test Equipment
f) EMI/EMF Meters
g) Battery Test Equipment (Alber/Midtronics)
* Requires 7X24X365 availability when on call. Job Position may require overnight travel at company expense.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Work is performed under general supervision of the Regional Mangers and Team Leads. Technician receives assignments in terms of schedules, priorities, and general instructions pertaining to special problem areas. Is afforded freedom of action within the framework of established policies, procedures, and production schedules; accomplishing assignments on own initiative. Completed work is subject to review for adherence to policy, soundness of recommendations, and overall accomplishment of organizational tasks and functions.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide inspection and certification of power electronics and their key components. The end goal is to obtain reliability, availability & quality of power while improving or sustaining the maintainability of the electrical system.
* AA/BS degree in Electrical and/or Electronics from an accredited college or university, or equivalent training from the military.
* Minimum of two years OEM experience (Ametek, SCI, Cyberex, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Gutor, APC, MGE, Schneider Electric, Powerware/Eaton) or eight years of progressively difficult experience in power electronic system maintenance and repair.
* Proficiency in reading and interpreting complex technical instructions, plans blueprints, and schematic diagrams.
* Strong working knowledge of NEC, maintenance practices, maintenance and supply procedures, and quality control procedures.
* Demonstrated ability to evaluate complex electrical systems, perform damage assessments, estimate maintenance, parts, and manpower requirements, diagnose malfunctions, and employ testing and inspection techniques.
* Capable of achieving "Top Secret" governmental security clearance.
* Use of laptop computer, various software packages and other electronic communication devices will be required.
* Requires strong written and oral communication skills.
* Future training and certification requirements: Various Manufacturer Maintenance Courses, Power Quality Training Course/Certification.
* Technician preferred to be proficient in Microsoft Office products.
* Lifts at least 100 pounds at one time and 60 pounds for an extended period of time.
* Relocates a 12 foot stepladder without assistance.
* Works at various heights up to 60 feet and can climb and maintain balance on scaffolds, aerial lifts, catwalks and all types of ladders.
* Walks, climbs, lifts, squats, crawls, kneels, pushes, pulls and reaches overhead on a routine and repetitive basis.
* Possess good vision (may be corrected vision), the ability to see in color, and the ability to hear and communicate in English.
* May use a standard ladder without exceeding the weight limit while carrying tools.
* Tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
* Apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
* Combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
* See details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
* Listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled