M.C. Dean is Building Intelligence in the form of cyber-physical solutions for the nation's most recognizable mission-critical facilities, large-scale infrastructure, and global enterprises.
Our success relies on great people delivering innovative projects and solutions for Fortune 100 companies and the most recognized agencies in government, defense, and security.
Join our more than 3,000 employees worldwide who engineer and deploy automated, secure and resilient power and technology systems; and deliver the management platforms essential for long-term system sustainability. Together we are creating the integrated systems and technologies that shape the built and cyber-physical world.
We offer an excellent benefits package including:
- A competitive salary
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Paid-time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Military Reserve pay offset
- Paid maternity leave
The Sr. Engineering Manager shall lead the engineering teams in providing designs of the highest quality that are accurate, comply with contract requirements, follow the M.C. Dean design process, are constructible, and are within budget.
The Engineering Manager:
- Shall establish a budget for the engineering group to include personnel, hardware, software, training, and support staff.
- Shall develop and implement standard best practices and procedures for design packages, submittal packages, and design deliverables. These standardized practices shall be used by all design teams.
- Shall ensure the design and engineering staff follows MC Dean Policies and standards for quality and design as developed by M.C. Dean
- Shall establish an organizational structure that provides clear roles and responsibilities and establishes design ownership and accountability.
- Shall be actively aware of all design and engineering projects and requirements, providing guidance where needed. This shall be accomplished through regularly scheduled meetings with project leads to identify milestones, hurdles, and required resources and support.
- Shall stay abreast of all current projects, understand the resources needed to complete the deliverables on time and correctly, and aid project leads in planning the design from start to finish.
- Shall be capable of identifying when resources are needed and when problems can be resolved through better time management and make appropriate changes as necessary by providing or re-tasking resources or mentoring the engineering team in time better management practices.
- Shall establish a means to track productivity of the design engineers and the quality of the designs that are produced.
- Shall mentor the design engineers in establishing a realistic design schedule and needed resources to complete design packages by the established milestones.
- Shall establish means and a method of checking coordination within MC Dean groups as well as externally and shall guide the design team in the methods needed to ensure proper coordination.
- Shall implement means and methods to develop complete and coordinated designs through the BIM process for all systems using IMMS/JobConnect.
- Shall lead the effort to use the tools available in BIM to provide a complete design that allows for a more efficient installation through prefab and automated processes. He/she shall work to develop other methods for using BIM for more efficient installations that may be currently unknown.
- Shall be knowledgeable of all systems under his or her responsibility and shall stay up to date as these systems change and advance so he/she can assist the project leads in identifying the tasks required to complete the designs, the means needed or available, and identify an accurate duration for each task.
- Shall ensure the design engineers are trained and are knowledgeable in the systems they are designing and the procedures the engineers are to follow, and they stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies. The design manager shall develop informal testing methods to be administered on a regular basis to the design engineers to identify strengths/weaknesses and areas where additional training or guidance is required.
- Shall provide training to the design staff through either informal training lead by the design manager, MCD resources, or external resources where available or needed.
- Shall maintain regular contact with the construction teams to identify areas of concern and improvement with designs to ensure lessons are learned and mistakes are identified and corrected before they become repetitive.
- Shall assist the capture teams with bids and proposals.
- Shall assist with finding new opportunities for MCD.
- Shall be held accountable for the performance of the group.
- Develop and implement Engineering Standards and Standard Design Packages
- Coordinate and interface with different MCD Engineering Groups and other company's Engineering Staff
- Develop Skills Matrix and conduct Skills Assessments for Engineers and Designers
- Implement Engineering Cross training program with levels of knowledge basis per Engineer/Designer level
- Responsible for the Annual Reviews for all Engineers and Designers (not necessarily directly responsible)
- Hiring and Firing of design staff and related resources.
Years of experience
- Thirteen+ year of experience with a Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Five to ten years of experience leading teams of engineers on multiple project simultaneously.
- Ten to twelve years of experience identifying, hiring, managing, evaluating, motivating and terminating staff members.
- Ten to twelve years of Profit and Loss responsibility for projects or organization\
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Exposure to computer screens for an extended period of time.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Reach by extending hands or arms in any direction.
- Have finger dexterity in order to manipulate objects with fingers rather than whole hands or arms, for example, using a keyboard.
- Listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Identify and understand the speech of another person.