ARServices is seeking a Biosurveillance Innovation Applied Scientist. This position is located in the National Capital Region.
With the threat of transnational terrorism and ongoing development of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) by nations potentially hostile to the U.S., DHS has taken steps to integrate the full range of its radiological/nuclear, chemical, and biological threat detection programs. As the focal point for this effort, DHS Countering Weapons of Mass Destruction (CWMD) requires consulting and program management support that can reinforce and better enable a more dynamic and operationally-focused DHS strategy. Within CWMD, the National Biosurveillance Integration Center (NBIC) is responsible for early detection and situational awareness of biological and chemical events anywhere around the world.
The person selected for this position will have the ability to provide technical support in the development of new approaches, systems, and algorithms for national biosurveillance. In order to provide advanced applied science technical support to NBIC's analytic and operational development projects , expertise shall include advanced education, knowledge, and capabilities in, but not limited to, mathematics, statistics, computer science, modeling and simulation, software engineering, and signal processing. The person shall support methodologies alongside NBIC federal staff in the development, testing, and deployment of new national biosurveillance capabilities.
This position will be located on a client site. Finalists must be able to pass a DHS Suitability Check and Secret Clearance.Responsibilities
- Provide technical support in the execution of advanced data analytics applied to existing and novel data relevant to biosurveillance.
- Expertise shall include advanced education, knowledge, and capabilities in, but not limited to, mathematics, computer science, statistical and probabilistic modeling, and advanced analytic software such as Matlab and SAS, In order to provide "big data" analytic support.
- Provide advanced technical support in the areas of quantitative and semi-quantitative risk and decision analysis.
- Support the development of advanced risk and decision analysis approaches for application in both real-time biosurveillance operations and predictive analysis
- Maintain expertise that includes advanced education, knowledge, and capabilities in risk and decision analysis.
- Example approaches include, but are not limited to, Bayesian networks, inference diagrams, probabilistic risk analysis, decision trees, fault-tree analysis, game-theory, consequence modeling, and probability modeling and elicitation. (OPTIONAL TASK)
- Research new technical approaches for application in National biosurveillance.
- Develop and incorporate novel algorithms and methods for complex, large-scale biosurveillance data analysis in coordination with operational/analytic end-users within and outside of OHA.
- Provide technical advice and analytic support to the management of external pilot projects developing new systems, algorithms, and technical approaches for biosurveillance.
- Bachelor's degree in natural or physical sciences, engineering, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or related fields.
- Ability to obtain high-level clearance and DHS suitability clearance
- 2+ years of experience in scientific, engineering, medical, veterinary, or public health field such as biology, chemistry, biochemistry, bacteriology, virology, epidemiology, toxicology, immunology, environmental science or engineering, physics, mathematics, geology, or other related discipline.
- Considerable professional experience in the natural or physical sciences, engineering, computer science, mathematics, statistics, informatics, or related fields.
- Must have experience developing, or evaluating the development of, systems, algorithms, and approaches for complex large-scale data analysis across a range of different types of data.
- Master's degree in natural or physical sciences, engineering, computer science, mathematics, statistics, or related fields.
- Active high-level clearance (current DHS Suitability preferred)
- Knowledge and experience in CBRN material as well as an understanding of the hazards associated with their manufacture, transport and use
- Specialized experience in the area of biosurveillance.
ARServices is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.