About MedStar Georgetown University Hospital:
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is a not-for-profit, acute-care teaching and research hospital with 609 beds located in Northwest Washington, D.C. Founded in the Jesuit principle of cura personalis—caring for the whole person—MedStar Georgetown is committed to offering a variety of innovative diagnostic and treatment options within a trusting and compassionate environment.
MedStar Georgetown's centers of excellence include neurosciences, transplant, cancer and gastroenterology. Along with Magnet® nurses, internationally recognized physicians, advanced research and cutting-edge technologies, MedStar Georgetown's healthcare professionals have a reputation for medical excellence and leadership.
General Summary of Position:
The incumbent in this position is a manager that participates in and facilitates the clinical operations, human resources, communications, and fiscal activities of the Radiation Oncology. Works closely will physicians, nurses, therapist, administration and outside agencies to maintain optimal patient care and coordination of services. The functions of expert practice, consultation, professional development, research and leadership are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and Georgetown University Hospital's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- EDUCATION/TRAINING: Master’s degree or post-Master’s education as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician’s Assistant
- EXPERIENCE: Four years of experience in oncology/hematology preferred. Experience in a university teaching hospital setting preferred. Previous supervisory experience strongly preferred
- LICENSE/CERTIFICATION/REGISTRATION: Licensed in DC as a Registered Nurse and a Nurse Practitioner in the District of Columbia. AOCN credential preferred for those holding NP credential. CPR required (BLS).
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with patients/families as well as staff and physicians; clinical knowledge base of oncology/hematology. Demonstrates skills to be able to function independently.
- Consideration will be given to an appropriate combination of education/training and experience.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
About MedStar Health
- Responsible (directly or through delegation to other staff members) for the personnel management of NPPs, nursing and medical assistants. This will include but is not limited to: interviewing, orienting, training, scheduling, coaching, counseling, evaluating and terminating employees as delegated by or with the Administrator's approval.
- Acts as primary communication link between various division managers, including the Medical Director, the Chairman, Chief Radiation Therapists, administration and the nursing staff.
- Meets regularly with the department managers to ensure efficient and effective daily operations of Radiation Oncology.
- Develops and implements clinical policies and procedures in collaboration with NPP group, physicians and relevant parties. Reports the status of progress and recommends/implements appropriate measures for Performance Improvement (PI).
- Coordinates PI and QA functions and activities of Radiation Oncology. Documents PI measures, outcomes and processes. Prepares information for submission to the hospital scorecard system and other required reporting systems.
- Reviews, develops and implements plans to improve patient flow, to facilitate clinical efficiency, physician efficiency, patient satisfaction and department productivity.
- Provides direct and indirect care in area of specialization to patients and families, and objectively and systematically evaluates the quality and appropriateness of care delivery.
- Reviews and updates information brochures, patient education materials and patient assessment forms currently used by the division.
- Performs physical assessment pertinent to patient’s medical history and complaint. Triages new patient referrals for appropriateness. Completes documentation in accordance with ACR guidelines and department policy.
- Provides symptom management strategies to a defined patient population in collaboration with physician.
- Records and documents assessment data, interventions, results and patient outcomes per established clinical protocols.
- Provides extensive patient education regarding disease process, treatment plan, and symptom management. Triages and assesses patient in order to provide optimum level of care, based on their expertise in specialty area. Assists patients and families through disease process and along cancer diagnosis continuum.
- Triages patient telephone inquiries and provides consultation as needed.
- Collaborates and coordinates with physician in evaluating and managing the acute and long-term medical needs of patients.
- Serves to problem solve; focusing on operational issues that may impede patient outcomes in a timely manner.
- Fosters educational development of self and staff and promotes the development of a multidisciplinary patient care philosophy at GUH.
- Manages/coordinates activities designed to improve performance in assigned programs.
- Reports the status of progress and recommends/implements appropriate measures for Performance Improvement (PI).
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area. The above responsibilities are a general description of the level and nature of the work and are not to be considered all-inclusive.
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.