Technical Writer II
The position is located in the Public Affairs, Media Relations under Assistant Chief of Staff (ACoS) Special Assistants. This position is contingent upon award.
Qualifications: The candidate must meet or exceed the following qualification criteria:
- Bachelor of Science in Communications or Arts concentrated in Life Sciences.
- 2-3 years' experience as a Technical Writer.
Specific Duties/Tasks The Candidate Shall Perform:
The Technical Writer II will provide the following services to include, but will not necessarily be limited to the following:
- Coordinate media interviews and escort media representatives for interviews with Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) subject matter experts, staff, and patients after all the proper clearance procedures have been followed.
- Edit and revise specialty clinic and other Medical Center publications.
- Develop various products including articles, with appropriate photographs for social media and the intranet. In addition, escort DV during information gathering tours.
- Submit products to the Public Affairs Office (PAO) for review prior to posting on the website and/or intranet.
- Write and develop newspaper articles as requested to include supporting photographs and/or graphics by Friday at noon two weeks prior to publication unless event falls within the date week. If event falls within the date week, provide skeleton of story the week before the event with edits due before the date week of when the event happens. Documents shall be reviewed and approved by the Government prior to publication.
- Ensure all articles are factually accurate, appropriate, and topical and conform to standard journalistic style and PAO standards; ensure each article and graphic is spell-checked and developed in accordance with the Associated Press Stylebook. Ensure each photograph is of professional quality and submitted according to receiving publication's guidelines (e.g. electronically, black-and-white, etc.).
- Support the Command's Internal and External Strategic Communication efforts and accomplishments to local, military, and national media.
- Peer review, revise, and critique submitted manuscripts for factual correctness, completeness, and military medical release.
- Shall have experience with computers.
- Shall be able to read, write, speak, and understand English well enough to effectively communicate with customers.
- Shall be knowledgeable of equipment and supply terminology and skill sufficient to identify and use necessary equipment and supplies properly.
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Afognak Native Corporation, Alutiiq LLC and their subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.