The 1.3 million member United Food Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a Junior Web Developer to be responsible for the design, analysis, implementation, and maintenance of major web based application solutions. A firm understanding of departmental responsibilities is essential.
Based in Washington DC, near Metro
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides assistance to various departments in the development and maintenance of database and web based platforms and tool sets in support of headquarters and field operations and provides end user support for all staff.
- Creates project specifications for web based applications.
- Designs, builds and maintains enterprise applications software using appropriate programming languages. Applications are mainly web based.
- Provides and conducts training of headquarters and field staff as needed regarding the use of UFCW proprietary software and applications as assigned.
- Performs routine and specific maintenance of proprietary software programs and applications as necessary.
- Directs production, installation and turnover of approved code changes for application objects to the production environments.
- Follows departmental standards and assist in preparing and updating documentation.
- Demonstrates a high sense of ownership of user problems.
- Expected to assist field IT staff
- Creates reports using UFCW data.
- Participates in continuous learning.
- Works with others in IT to provide technical guidance during all phases of the development process.
- Works with vendors and staff in evaluating and implementing new technologies.
- Contributes to team effort by working with other department staff.
- Maintains the security of UFCW operations by keeping information confidential.
- Bachelor’s Degree in one of the following subject areas: Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or related field preferred.
- A strong understanding of web based application theories, principles, and practices.
- Must have initiative.
- Must be able to balance conflicting demands and changing priorities and anticipate future needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required. Ability to work without direct supervision
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Fulltime position; posting closes when position is filled.
UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).