- Reston, VA
FireEye is the leader in intelligence-led security-as-a-service. Working as a seamless, scalable extension of customer security operations, FireEye offers a single platform that blends innovative security technologies, nation-state grade threat intelligence, and world-renowned Mandiant consulting. With this approach, FireEye eliminates the complexity and burden of cyber security for organizations struggling to prepare for, prevent, and respond to cyber attacks. FireEye has over 7,000 customers across 67 countries, including more than 45 percent of the Forbes Global 2000.
FireEye iSIGHT Threat Intelligence is a proactive, forward-looking means of qualifying threats poised to disrupt your business based on the intents, tools, and tactics of the attacker. Our high-fidelity, comprehensive intelligence delivers visibility beyond the typical attack lifecycle, adding context and priority to global threats before, during, and after an attack.
The data science/analytics intern will work with FireEye iSIGHT Intelligence's Information Operations analysis team to identify and track both state-sponsored and non-state disinformation and influence campaigns and to provide comprehensive, contextually rich, actionable intelligence to its customers. The role requires quantitative, analytics, and programming competency. The successful candidate will demonstrate comfort with the full spectrum of data-related endeavors, including efficient and accurate collection, cleaning, processing, analysis, and visualization.
* Support FireEye iSIGHT Intelligence's Information Operations analysis team with its development of new and innovative ways of extracting insight from large sets of structured and unstructured data.
* Assist in the building and development of collections tools to automatically collate and process large sets of data for subsequent analysis.
* Quickly and efficiently process incoming data sets to support quick-turnaround intelligence outputs.
* Create informative and aesthetic visualizations of complex data to convey important insights.
* Write accessible analytic outputs, under the direction of senior analysts, for inclusion in finished intelligence products.
The internship will include on-the-job training to provide specific Information Operations subject matter experience. As such, the successful candidate will have the capability to learn designated subject matter and roles relatively easily, and are not expected to already have direct experience in threat intelligence analysis. Internship candidates deemed to likely have the necessary skill sets will be asked to perform a simple evaluation task during the candidate selection process to evaluate their capabilities.
Beneficial experience, skills, and knowledge include the following:
* Training (whether academic or otherwise) in a quantitative, scientific, or technical field (including but not limited to Statistics, Computer Science, Physics etc.) or a social science with extensive exposure to quantitative data analysis (including but not limited to Political Science, Sociology, or Psychology). Other disciplines are welcome if the candidate can demonstrate the technical and quantitative competencies required.
* Demonstrable data science or analytics experience providing insights through the application (or development) of analytic tools and frameworks.
* Proficiency in R and/or Python. Other programming and statistical languages are a plus, but expect to be operating primarily in R and/or Python.
* Familiarity with inferential statistical techniques and models (either frequentist or Bayesian, though both is a huge plus), such as generalized linear models, time series analysis, or social network analysis.
* Experience with, or ability to quickly develop competency in, web scraping and Natural Language Processing.
* Ability to produce accessible, informative visualizations based on large data sets.
* Competency in communicating analytic findings orally and in writing to audiences with limited technical/quantitative experience.
* Ability to think critically and properly qualify analytic assessments from facts.
* Previous experience with or knowledge of intelligence analysis and cyber security is a plus but not required.
* Familiarity with geopolitical developments is a plus.
* Foreign language expertise (Russian, Chinese, etc.)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.