Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The purpose of these positions is to attract new engineers and to promote careers in railway engineering by providing an entry point for engineers in training. Accepted candidates for the positions will have the opportunity to apply their engineering skills in the field and to gain firsthand work experience in the various aspects of railway engineering
• Work under the supervision of assigned Engineering Manager(s)
• Assist in providing technical, logistical, and administrative support to ensure the successful completion of assigned project tasks within scope, schedule and budget
• Assist in performing engineering surveys, designs, design reviews, and other analyses of fixed railroad infrastructure assets and components to improve reliability and to enhance safety
• Receive instruction on the various Engineering safety standards, work procedures, and operating practices including Railway Worker Protection
• Specific work assignments will involve the review of transponder design and radio network topography; assisting with On-board computer (OBC) simulation testing, WIU (wayside interface unit) plug testing, field propagation testing, configuration management, the procurement of project materials.
This position begins summer (May) 2019
• Must be actively pursuing a degree at an accredited educational institution.
• Must have at least 1 year of academic undergraduate studies completed or a sophomore status
• Must be actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
• Must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week between the days/hours: Monday-Friday, 8a-5p
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and CADD software
• Prior work experience in design, maintenance or construction.
• Previous construction or railroad industry experience
• Configuration and/or Data Management
• Basic knowledge of computer networking.
• Preferably junior (rising senior) level
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Engineering || Engineering