Geological Sample Test Technician
Responsible for taking samples from geological sites to determine if oil or gas is present. Analyzes sample for certain factors and presents findings to oil and gas experts.
- Test or analyze geological samples, crude oil, or minerals to detect presence of petroleum, gas, or mineral deposits.
- Report findings to colleagues.
- Determine physical or chemical properties to ensure that products meet quality standards.
- Prepare samples for analysis.
- Work with hydrogeologists to evaluate groundwater or well circulation.
- Analyze seismic activity.
- Evaluate possible mining locations.
- Determine possible geothermal plant sites.
- Measure and record geological factors and characteristics.
- Utilize instruments such as sonic, electronic, electrical, seismic, or gravity-measuring tools.
- Evaluate cutting samples.
- Operate equipment to secure geological data.
- Record readings in a database.
- Interpret core samples.
- Operate, clean, sanitize, and maintain equipment.
- Work under the supervision of scientists and other technicians.
- Train, supervise, and guide other technicians as they take samples.
- Print recordings of information.
- Develop information to be used in oil, water, and gas well drilling activities.
- Prepare notes, sketches, geological maps and cross-sections.
- Utilize aerial photographs to plot possible sites.