To provide technical expertise and support for the accounting, compliance, planning and audits related to the property tax function.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Perform property tax compliance functions with an emphasis in, but not limited to: AK, AL, CO, LA, NM, OH, PA, TX and WY.
- Support property tax accounting functions such as posting monthly accruals, property tax payments, and journal entries.
- Review data gathered from accounting and operational teams to identify all reportable activity and obsolescence factors.
- Prepare and timely file annual property tax returns to the proper assessing authorities.
- Review assessment notices for accuracy and participate in value discussions with the assessing authority.
- Post noticed values in the property tax system and calculate estimated tax liability.
- Evaluate, with the Property Tax Manager, where appeals are necessary.
- Assist in appeal preparation and, when applicable, attend appeal level hearings.
- Learn and work confidently in the property tax systems.
- Learn and work confidently in SAP.
- Participate in the formulation of strategies to minimize tax liabilities and optimize use of losses.
- Provide research on existing legislation, regulations and rulings in tax and related areas and advise on how to mitigate their impacts.
- Provide research and/or updates on new or proposed legislation, regulations and rulings in tax and related areas and advise on how to mitigate their impacts.
- Participate in the coordination of all external and internal tax related audits.
- Support the Property Tax Manager to provide other accounting and operational areas advice and consultation to satisfy customers' needs and overall company objectives.
- Build and maintain strong business relationships with industry peers, assessors, collectors, customers and 3rd parties.
- Adhere to the company's values - Integrity, Ownership, Urgency, Alignment and Innovation.
- Support company vision and mission.
- Adhere to established work schedule, attendance standards and be punctual to work and meetings.
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Maintain employee confidence and protect operations, including intellectual properties, by keeping information confidential.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related results, as needed.
- (2) years of experience in the oil and gas industry, including experience with upstream, midstream and oil field service industries.
- Applicant's primary occupation for at least one (1) of the last two (2) years must have involved property tax valuation and compliance responsibilities.
- Previous experience as a Property Tax Analyst, Representative, Consultant, or Accountant is preferred.
- Previous property tax experience focused in the oil and gas industry's upstream and midstream sectors, is required. Specific emphasis in AK, TX, and LA, is preferred.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- Outstanding administrative and organizational skills.
- Strong business acumen.
- Ability to accurately plan and analyze company information.
- Ability to complete complex tasks without close supervision.
- Ability to complete multiple, diverse tasks of differing priorities.
- Achievement oriented: Act Today, Not Tomorrow.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, other departments, officials, and the public.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with specific ability to translate complex operational information into an organized and presentable manner.
- Required: Proficient in the use and application of the following software: Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and Outlook).
- Preferred: Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Access and SAP.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year university or college. A degree in accounting, finance, economics, business or engineering is preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- CMI, ASA, or CPA Preferred.
Hilcorp Energy is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and any other basis protected by law. Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the recruitment process are encouraged to contact Human Resources directly.