SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Sr. Materials Process Engineer, Plastic Injection Molding
This role would be on the materials engineering team, supporting plastic injection molding. The materials engineering team supports materials across SpaceX via identification, development, and implementation of advanced materials and processes. You will work closely with our engineering teams in the early phases of injection molding process development and equipment commissioning to drive the development of plastic injection molding at the company. Through your work in this role, you will be enabling SpaceX to manufacture a truly unique product
- Specify, design, install, commission and validate intelligent equipment to support injection molding applications
- Lead process development of the injection molding process through parameter optimization, DOE experiments, and trials that will lead to a robust process
- Work closely with product design engineering teams to define requirements
- Lead the subassembly and system level manufacturing line processes, oversee the design and assembly of tools, fixtures and automated assembly equipment or approve all manufacturing-related plastic injection molded and new assembly integration procedures
- Oversee operator instructions, critical parameters, checklists and training materials for all molding operations, update special equipment service manuals including BOMs, drawings, wiring schematics, recommended needed processes, technical expertise, and tooling for optimization of production runs
- Diagnose equipment failures, collect data to identify root causes and develop sustainable solutions
- Bachelor's degree in engineering
- 5+ years of experience in plastic injection molding process design, manufacturing engineering, equipment commissioning, robot programming or control systems design
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in materials engineering
- Master's degree or PhD Degree in Materials Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- 12+ years of experience in plastic injection molding process design, manufacturing engineering, equipment commissioning, robot programming and control systems design
- Experience developing manufacturing processes for new and unique products
- Experience transitioning products from prototype to production
- Experience defining and assessing quality standards associated with common manufacturing processes including drawing specifications, limit samples, and incoming/outgoing quality control points with a proven track-record of shepherding products from tool release to mass production
- Experience with manufacturing process like injection molding, CNC, die casting, stamping, assembly, and box build in a production setting and a good understanding of the costs and schedule and complexity associated with each process
- Experience creating & maintaining a positive atmosphere in a collaborative work team
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR .
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.