This summer internship is an opportunity for a current graduate student or recent graduate to gain office experience providing administrative support while learning about accreditation of medical education programs.
The LCME is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as the reliable authority for the accreditation of programs of medical education leading to the MD degree. It is cosponsored by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association (AMA). Accreditation Services supports the operation of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) and manages the accreditation system, including developing LCME documents and maintaining the LCME website, designing and implementing orientation activities for medical education programs undergoing accreditation review, selecting survey teams, and conducting ongoing training programs for survey team members.
- Enhance professional writing, proofreading, and editing skills
- Gain an understanding of medical education and accreditation issues at the national level
- Gain experience using verbal and written communication skills in the workplace for quality assurance
- Gain experience with web applications
- Gain experience working with a small team that interfaces with a large constituency
- Gain experience working with external and internal vendors to produce materials/products for events
- Gain experience managing tasks with minimal supervision and completing deliverables on time
- Demonstrate ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality with sensitive information
- Follow established processes in procedures manual and use templates to complete tasks of populating data from various accreditation sources to create first drafts of correspondence (e.g., follow-up letters to survey teams) or draft presenter worksheets for LCME meetings
- Follow established processes in procedures manual and use templates to create meeting books on, upload documents to, and edit content of BoardEffect (an online private website used by LCME members and staff in preparation for LCME meetings), using data from various accreditation sources
- Data entry into Excel database from established online forms or as provided by supervisor (updating Survey Tracking from survey personnel designation forms, new team member/faculty fellow forms, and COI/Confidentiality forms; updating Item Tracking spreadsheet from accreditation letters, submitted school reports, and survey date confirmation letters; etc.)
- Draft/send Survey Team Secretary/Chair Evaluations using established processes and templates in procedures manual
- Assist in editing PowerPoint presentations for and correspondence related to the LCME's Connecting with the Secretariat webinars
- Assist in providing timely responses to all general inquires received by the LCME Secretariat (phone and email) using established stock language responses to FAQs
- Schedule conference calls/meetings, as needed
- Assist in updating LCME records and setting calendar reminders, following established procedures, for medical school name or dean/personnel changes
- Maintain response template for general LCME inquiries/FAQs by adding new Q&A
- Read LCME website content and publications and provide feedback on how to improve language for clarity and consistency to the novice learner
- Perform content audits of LCME's public website and internal BoardEffect website to ensure accuracy and valid hyperlinks
- Review process documents for missing content, clarification needed, and constancy in language
- Create video tutorials using process documentation/procedure manuals
- Download content from online JotForm database (survey personnel designation forms, new team member/faculty fellow forms, COI/Confidentiality forms, etc.) and save files according to naming convention on the LCME K drive
- Review and organize LCME shared drive files and correct names of documents according to naming convention and document retention guidelines
- Print/assemble materials as requested
- Order gifts for speakers at the annual meeting as requested
- Provide edits to procedures manual in track changes as the manual is used and you see areas for improvement or clarity
- Participate in weekly status/progress meetings
- Provide email updates to supervisor on all tasks in process and maintain a list of completed tasks throughout summer
- Submit reimbursements for constituents as requested
- Other duties as assigned
- Has obtained, or is within one year of completion of a Bachelor's degree (student pursuing graduate studies is preferred)
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite required (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Experience with WebEx or other webinar platform preferred
- Ability to multitask and follow instructions to complete complex tasks with precision/accuracy
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
Candidates will not be considered if they are currently enrolled in an LCME-accredited medical education program
If a bachelor's degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Please attach a resume as part of the application process. It is important that files DO NOT include periods ( . ) within the file name.
BROWSER REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be submitted using Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer v.10 or higher.