At the direction of the kitchen management, the First Cook is required to know all his/her department production responsibilities. He/she, together with kitchen management, will ensure that all TCMA standards and policies are adhered to at all times. Emphasis will be placed on quality, creativity, and presentation of food, food cost control, labor cost control, and sanitation.
As a First Cook, he/she is to set an example for all kitchen employees in terms of professionalism, positive attitude, strong work ethic, and motivation.
- Culinary degree from recognized culinary institute or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience in quantity food production, in upscale operation
- Proven culinary skills and knowledge of food production techniques
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of kitchen equipment use and operation
- Ability to stand, bend, lift 50 pounds, and push carts weighing up to 200 pounds
- Strong organizational, communication and leadership skills
- Ability to work flexible schedule to include evenings, weekends and holidays
Garde Manger Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the consistency of various preparations within the cold kitchen to ensure quality product and adherence to standard recipes.
- Prepares all cold food according to recipes, guidelines and standards set by the Executive Chef.
- Ensures that assigned work area has proper level of par stocks and supplies according to daily production sheets (based on house count), daily menus and banquets events.
- Always keep all refrigeration, equipment, storage and working areas in clean, working condition in order to comply with health department regulations.
- Visually inspects, selects and uses only food items of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items.
- Checks and controls the proper storage of product, checking on portion control, especially in specific cuts of meat, to maintain quality product.
- Represents department when kitchen management is absent
- Assists food handlers in the preparation and production of all department made items
- Assists in the assurance that all products are received and stored properly
- Assists in all aspects of food preparation and production, ensuring that standardized recipes, plating and presentation guides, portion control and garnish requirements are adhered to at all times
- Assists food handlers in the performance of their duties as needed to ensure TCMA standards for timely preparation with minimal waste
- Involved in all food preparation, production, holding and storage operations to ensure adherence to all Food Service Sanitation standards
- Assists in frequent inspections of all preparation and cooking equipment to ensure that they are kept clean, sanitary and in perfect operating order
- Reports all equipment maintenance needs to kitchen management
- Communicates daily with kitchen management to obtain/provide current information regarding daily activities/functions and upcoming events
- Strives to achieve greater proficiency of every task
- Other duties assigned by kitchen management
General TCMA responsibilities
- Promotes and applies teamwork at all times and supports kitchen management
- Ensures that all policies and procedures contained in the TCMA employee handbook are adhered to, reporting any infractions to kitchen management in a timely manner
- Is polite, friendly, and helpful to all guests, management and fellow employees
- Attends all appropriate TCMA meetings and training sessions
- Maintains cleanliness and excellent condition of equipment and work area
- Executes emergency procedures in accordance with TCMA standards
- Complies with required safety regulations and procedures
- Complies with department uniform and grooming standards
- Notifies kitchen management whenever leaving appropriate work area
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities