|[Position No Longer Available]||Forward Print|
|Position:||Airway Transportation Systems Specialist (Environmental)|
|Company:||Federal Aviation Administration|
|Job Location(s):||Washington, DC|
|Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Starting Salary Range:||$35,000.00 - $63,400.00 / Per|
|Required Education:||Bachelor's Degree|
|Required Security Clearance:||None|
|Related Categories:||IT - General, IT - Software Development, IT - Analysis/Project Mgmt|
Job Title:Airway Transportation Systems Specialist (Environmental)
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Federal Aviation Administration
Job Announcement Number:FAA-AMH-13-ATSSENV-28465
|SALARY RANGE:||$35,000.00 to $63,400.00 / Per Year|
|OPEN PERIOD:||Tuesday, October 02, 2012 to Monday, March 11, 2013|
|SERIES & GRADE:||FV-2101-F/G|
|POSITION INFORMATION:||Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types|
|DUTY LOCATIONS:||Many vacancies in the following location:|
FAA Technical Operations Facility Locations Throughout the Nation
|WHO MAY APPLY:||U.S. Citizens|
The Next Generation of Flight is Underway - and you can be part of it! We need you and your fresh ideas to shape the air transportation system of tomorrow, and the way America flies. Come be a part of the new generation in aviation, an industry that is absolutely critical to this nation's economy and security.
The Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) is a fundamental transformation of our nation's airspace system. It uses 21st century technologies to meet future demands, avoid gridlock in the sky and on the runways, further improve safety, and protect the environment. For more information on NextGen, watch this brief introduction :
Amendment Date: 03/04/2013
Amendment Note: Closing date changed to 3/11/13.
Business Component: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Air Traffic Organization, Technical Operations Field Service
Additional Salary Information: Salaries shown above reflect base pay only. Salary will be adjusted to include locality pay based on assigned duty location.
No Permanent Change of Station (PCS) payments are authorized.
The primary responsibilities of this position are associated with the installation, maintenance, modification and certification of ENVIRONMENTAL and lighted navigational aids systems and services such as: Precision Approach Path Indicator, Visual Approach Slope Indicator, Approach Lighting System with Sequenced Flashing Lights, Runway End Identification Lights, Runway Status Lights, Engine Generators, transfer switches, heating ventilating and air conditioning, and knowledge of the national electric code (NEC). Additional responsibilities in the communication, automation, navigational aids, or radar fields may also be required.
Airway Transportation Systems Specialists (ATSS) install, maintain, modify and certify electronic equipment and lighting aids associated with facilities and services required for aviation navigation to assure a reliable, safe, and smooth flow of air traffic. This involves work with radar, communications, automation, and navigational aids equipment as well as airport lighting aids and electrical/mechanical equipment supporting facilities on and off airports within the network of the National Airspace System. It includes periodic maintenance (inspection and analysis of equipment with associated adjustments), modification, corrective maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and replacement of malfunctioning equipment, and certification. ATSSs may be required to maintain entire facilities, including electronic equipment, electrical power distribution, emergency backup power conditioning systems, and heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems; electronic equipment only; or power and HVAC systems only. Many ATSSs work out of offices located at or near airports and on service equipment located on airports, in Air Traffic Control Towers, other remote facilities and in open fields, or even on remote mountain tops. It is often necessary to drive significant distances (100-200 miles) to reach facilities. ATSSs also work in Air Route Traffic Control Centers maintaining equipment within the facility.
OPM Group Coverage Qualification Standard for Administrative and Management Positions in conjunction with the Individual Occupational Requirements for DOT/FAA Airway Transportation Systems Specialist, FV-2101
EDUCATION* - 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree with a major study or at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following: computer science, mathematics, electronics, physical sciences, information management, engineering, telecommunications, or other fields related to this position.
EXPERIENCE - 3 years of general work experience that provided a basic knowledge of the principles of electronics, mathematics, computers, aeronautics, or related areas, or an understanding, both theoretical and practical, of automated systems operation, integration, management, and maintenance. Experience may have been gained in occupations such as computer specialist, electronics technician, telecommunications specialist, engineer, or other work related to this position.
EDUCATION* - a) Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree; b) 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; or c) LL.M.; if related
EXPERIENCE - 1 year of specialized work experience, equivalent to at least the next lower level, that demonstrated an extensive knowledge of and experience in the technology, system interrelationships, and management of civilian or military automated aviation, navigation, and electronics systems.
Applicants should include examples of specialized experience in their Work History.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be qualifying for this position.
*If you are qualifying based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript (official or unofficial) immediately upon submission of your online application. Schools must be accredited by an institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Applicants may be asked to verify information on their application for employment with the FAA.
We are not accepting applications from noncitizens.HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Applicants may be rated on the extent and quality of experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position(s). All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated.
To preview the application questionnaire, click the following link:
FAA offers an excellent comprehensive benefits programs. To learn more about the federal government benefits, pleaseOTHER INFORMATION:
We may use this vacancy to fill other similar vacant positions.
Travel may be required.
Position may be subject to a background investigation.
A one-year probationary period may be required.
As a condition of employment, male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify that they have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law.
Direct deposit of pay is required.
1) Employees entering into these positions must successfully complete training requirements in the first year of employment. Failure to complete training requirements may result in separation from the FAA.
2) Some ATSSs may be required to travel away from home up to 80% of the time. Some positions involve work that must be performed outdoors during various weather conditions. Most positions involve rotating shifts and weekend and holiday work.
3) Some, all, or none of the applicants may be interviewed.
4) You must be able to perform efficiently the essential functions of the position without hazard to yourself or others. Depending on the position, usable vision (including color vision and near vision), hearing, and speech may be required. You may also be required to lift and/or carry objects of about 20 to 50 pounds, as well as climb ladders and/or work in unusual or uncomfortable body positions or environmental conditions.
5) This position is covered by the Department of Transportation's Drug and Alcohol Testing Program. Any applicant tentatively selected for this position will be subject to preemployment or preappointment drug screening. Persons occupying a "testing designated position (TDP)" will be subject to random drug and/or alcohol testing.
6) This position requires a National Agency Check and Inquiry (NACI), which may be completed after appointment.
7) Applicants must apply on-line to receive consideration for this vacancy announcement. Faxed, mailed, or e-mailed applications cannot be accepted.
8) You will only be referred for the highest grade level for which qualified, unless you indicate in your application that you wish to be considered for other grade levels.
9) Valid state driver's license is required.
10) This position is covered by the FAA's Core Compensation plan. Additional information about core compensation is available on the following website: http://jobs.faa.gov/FAACoreCompensation.htm.
11) These positions may be filled as permanent or temporary. The selection to a 2-year temporary or 5-year time-limited appointment under this external hiring authority does not afford the employee eligibility for non-competitive conversion to a permanent excepted service appointment. Additionally, selection does not provide the employee eligibility to apply for and compete for permanent internal assignments in accordance with EMP-1.14, Permanent Internal Assignments.
12) Cut-off dates may be utilized in the referral process. Cut-off dates are established as the 1st and the 15th of each month. Applications submitted after a cut-off would receive consideration during the next cut-off period.
13) This announcement allows applicants to select up to five geographic preferences. Please input your selection(s) in preference order. While placement will be determined based on the agency's needs, consideration will be given to your preferred location(s).
This is a bargaining unit position.
Links to Important Information: ,
You must apply online to receive consideration. Your application must have a status of "Submitted" by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the Close Date for it to be accepted. If you are applying for positions associated with FAA registers, your application must have a status of "Submitted" each time a referral list is created in order to receive consideration for positions associated with register.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR WORK EXPERIENCE AND/OR EDUCATION, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE OR EDUCATION.
We strongly encourage applicants to utilize the USAJOBS resume builder in the creation of resumes.
Please ensure EACH work history includes ALL of the following information:
Veterans claiming preference must submit a form DD-214, Military Discharge (Member Copy 4 or equivalent).
If you are claiming 10 point preference, in addition to your DD-214, you must submit a completed form SF-15 and supporting documents outlined on the SF-15. If you fail to submit documentation, you will be assessed as a non-veteran.
If you are claiming 10 point preference and submit a DD-214 but fail to submit the supporting documents outlined on the SF-15, you will be assessed as a 5 point preference eligible if your DD-214 reflects you have the service qualifying for tentative preference (i.e. served in a war, campaign or expedition). If you fail to submit documentation, you will be assessed as a non-veteran.
Veterans on active duty claiming veterans' preference: You will be granted a tentative preference if your application shows that you have the required service (i.e. served in a war, campaign or expedition). Prior to being appointed, you must provide a DD-214 documenting that the service was honorable or general. If you are on terminal leave, you must provide documentation certifying authorized terminal leave.
If you are qualifying based on education--in order to verify qualifications--you must submit a copy of your transcript(s). If you fail to submit documentation, you will be determined ineligible until such time as the documentation is received. If selected, official transcripts will be required prior to appointment.
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS MUST BE UPLOADED, FAXED, OR MAILED IMMEDIATELY UPON SUBMISSION OF THE ONLINE APPLICATION.
Please include vacancy announcement number FAA-AMH-13-ATSSENV-28465 on all submitted documents.